What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Need Custom PhotoShop Plug-In Filter Developed

kentlytle

Looking for an individual or company who can develop a PhotoShop plug-in with very specific capability involving complex algorithm development. Guessing it is likely to be about 100 to 200 hours of work or so. Having difficulty finding someone with the right qualifications. Will require skill with complex algorithm development, C++, PhotoShop SDK, and Mac API. Would like to start in January.

Tom Mann

Guru
Dear Kent - Thank you for posting your request here. If you haven't done so, please read the rules for posting freelance jobs:
https://www.photoshopgurus.com/foru...-posting-freelance-job-please-read-first.html

Because you are looking for someone who has very specialized skills, and not an ordinary, or even highly skilled *user* of Photoshop, I suggest that you be especially mindful of the rule that you deal only with a qualified Photoshop Gurus freelancer.

In addition, to further clarify your needs and weed out people who might not fully understand what this entails, I suggest that you supply any further technical (or other) information that might be made public. For example, has the algorithm destined for the plugin been already designed and tested for effectivness in a rapid prototyping language such as Matlab's Image Processing Toolbox or even on another host such as ImageJ? Also, details such as an approximate budget, whether travel is involved, and if it is, to where would be highly appreciated.

The best of luck.

Tom M
Washington, DC

PS - For the benefit of PSG freelancers who might be interested in this request, even though I have developed image processing algorithms sporadically for decades, and currently direct at least two student projects that involve medical image processing, my work has never been for PS or any commercial purpose, so I am not going to put my hat into the ring, LOL.

kentlytle

Thank you for your reply Tom

Looking for qualified Photoshop Gurus freelancer

Essentially this project will require recreating the algorithms of the Oil Paint filter, altered to work when applied to much larger image sizes than it is capable of affecting. The plug-in also needs to be compatible with CC 2014.

Oil Paint was created using Pixel Bender. Adobe no longer supports Pixel Bender and has stopped supporting the Oil Paint filter. I do not have access to the original code. There is a somewhat similar open source plug-in for GIMP, the dream smoothing filter, but it's effects are not close enough to Oil Paint for my needs and it also does not work when applied to my large image sizes.

Of the three factors — Quality, Cost, and Time — quality is most important. Cost is important but second to a successful outcome. I would like to begin in January with completion by March, but I can be very flexible on time. I have a well-defined scope and goal for the project. I am estimating that a budget between $5000 and $10,000 will be necessary for completion.

If qualified, please contact me for specific details and examples of what I need this filter to do.

Regards,
Kent

Tom Mann

Guru
Thank you for adding that info, Kent. That was very clear. It sounds like a *really* fun project. Like you, I was very disappointed when Adobe stopped supporting Pixel Bender -- that was the "poor man's" way for people to get their feet wet in this sort of programming.

Not having the original source code certainly ups the bar considerably on who is qualified to do this work. I can envision many different ways an algorithm like "Oil Paint" could be written, all producing slightly (or not so slightly, LOL) different results.

As I'm sure you know, there are quite a few pieces of software that claim to "turn your photo into an oil painting". IMHO, none of their results ever look like oil paintings, but some are interesting in their own right, and these companies already have demonstrated technical skills. Have you considered directly contacting these companies (often consisting of just a very small number of people), and proposing to them that you sponsor some work by them that might be mutually beneficial? For example, after a certain period during which you or your organization would have exclusive rights to the product that they develop for you under contract, they could then market it alongside their current products, and you share in the proceeds.

Anyway, let's sit back and give people time to respond because our members are scattered all over the world, in different time zones.

Tom M

ALB68

Dear Departed Guru and PSG Staff Member
There has been no activity in this thread since 12-04-2014. However due to the nature of the request, I am going to leave it open. OP stated he wanted the work to begin in January.