What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Resize crop multiple photos so they have exactly the same size subject

plastic

Hi all,
I'm looking for someone who can help me fix what my laziness behind the camera has created. I've got a bunch (55 or 60) images of the same island which I wish to publish. They are all taken at different times of day, tides, weather etc. What I would like is if the rocks of the island sit in exactly the same spot in each picture, so when I click through the pictures, it looks like the island is staying exactly still and the light/water/clouds are all changing around them.
Obviously if I had used the same camera, focal length, lens etc I could have saved myself this hassle. At least I did take all the photos from exactly the same spot!
I have tried doing this myself by placing the horizon at the midpoint of the shot, using lens correction and resizing/ cropping but I think it really needs a translucent 'template' standard photo and then rejig each shot so the rocks fit exactly that template. Does that make sense? I will attach a screenshot of the files in my lightroom and some representative jpg exports so you can hopefully understand the job.
The files would need to be kept in .dng format. I will have to put them in a drop box or ftp site for you and would probably ask the successful bidder to try a few shots before doing the lot.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-04-30 at 3.11.13 pm.png
    Screen Shot 2014-04-30 at 3.11.13 pm.png
    695.5 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_4962.jpg
    IMG_4962.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_5062.jpg
    IMG_5062.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_5163.jpg
    IMG_5163.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 32
I should have mentioned. I will pay an hourly rate if you tell me what hourly rate you would expect and give a rough estimate of how many hours it might take you to do 60 images. Thanks.

I might be interested, but I have some questions:

1. Please list the make and model of all cameras and lenses that you used.

2. When you say that you applied "lens correction", are you referring to the automatic lens correction facility in ACR and LR? Did you find lens correction profiles for all of the different combinations of cameras and lenses that you used?

3. Exactly what problems did you run into when you tried to do this yourself?

4. What degree of accuracy are you looking for, ie, plus or minus how many pixels throughout the image?

T

I might be interested, but I have some questions:

1. Please list the make and model of all cameras and lenses that you used.

2. When you say that you applied "lens correction", are you referring to the automatic lens correction facility in ACR and LR? Did you find lens correction profiles for all of the different combinations of cameras and lenses that you used?

3. Exactly what problems did you run into when you tried to do this yourself?

4. What degree of accuracy are you looking for, ie, plus or minus how many pixels throughout the image?

T
Thanks Tom
Roughly half the images were shot on a 5DIII with a 70-200 2.8L Lens. Some were using this same lens but with the 2x teleconverter on it.
Half the images were shot with a Canon 500D using an EFS 55-250 (mostly at 131mm and 135mm according to metadata). A few were with the 500D but the 70-200 2.8L

Yes I applied the auto lens correction in LR, just figuring it might help. Obviously most of my editing (straightening horizon and cropping) was non destructive and I would supply you with unfiddled .dng files I reckon.

The problems I encountered were that centering the horizon line in the middle of the shot didn't 'lineup' the rocks on the island always. I think the tide may have affected the horizon line? Plus I was basically guesstimating using LR crop tool how much to crop down....put the big rock on the left grid 4 lines in from the left etc. When clicking through the shots this resulted in the top edge of the island 'jumping around' more than I would like, although some of them were quite good. obviously the bottom edge of the island jumps around anyway due to tide height.

In terms of accuracy, I'd like it as good as a good editor can make it look without spending ridiculous time. Some of the shots I expect won't be editable to fit the template due to too much zoom when I took them or poor framing with the horizon line too far off midline. Some of the shots will probably need almost no editing. I guesstimate accuracy within 5 pixels wouldn't be noticeable on a mac retina display (2880 x1800) from a couple of feet away. But basically as good as a good operator can reasonably get it would be fine...I hadn't really though much would need to be done to correct for lens differences due to the distance of the island to where I was taking the shot...about 500metres I reckon.

Thanks for responding so completely to my questions. That was extremely useful.

FYI, I'm waiting for the attachments to be approved so that I can take a look at what you have.

More later,

Tom

Thanks for responding so completely to my questions. That was extremely useful.

FYI, I'm waiting for the attachments to be approved so that I can take a look at what you have.

More later,

Tom

Thanks Tom, I did not realise attachments were moderated. Let me know if i need to email them to you.

As an example, I took the three larger images you posted and worked on them. See attached.

If all your other images are like these three, I should now have a pretty good idea of how much time each one would take.

See what you think and check your forum private message inbox for more details.

Tom

Attachments

• IMG_5163plus2others-ps02_for_gif-02.gif
    IMG_5163plus2others-ps02_for_gif-02.gif
    285.1 KB · Views: 24
Yes,Gohan, I received his email and I'm in communication with him.

BTW, you seem to have forgotten the PSG freelance forum rule that an expression of interest by a responder MUST be first made in this forum, NOT circumvented by private communication as you seem to have done.

Tom

My bad Tom, I thought I did reply in this thread first (as I usually do) but looking back, it appears not. I often use my phone to read and reply on this forum and maybe my reply didn't go through as I thought.

Back