What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

help. not sure how this is done?

andyb313

Sorry in am on a phone and the site isn't working to well. I have attempted to recreate the Mellon head shown but cannot get as to look as good. I am new to Photoshop can anyone help please? Thanks in advance

Attachments

• Funny-photoshop-pics-010.jpg
    Funny-photoshop-pics-010.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_36680508470971.jpeg
    IMG_36680508470971.jpeg
    32.3 KB · Views: 8

andyb313

I cannot seem to get it as bright. I fiddles with the image adjustments but just can't get there lol

ibclare

Queen Bee
I assume the first is yours?

Please tell us what techniques you're using. The complete process will help us to steer you in the right direction.

It appears you are using a displacement map. Good. It also appears you are using a blending mode that is part of the problem.

Are you following a tutorial or trying to suss it out yourself?

If I were doing so, I would make a duplicate of the layer/face and reserve that for later. Then I would desaturate the first face, make the displacement map changes you did. Apply that to the melon and experiment with different blend modes and opacities of the watermelon layer once the blend mode is set. I think I would start with screen. Overlay has a tendency to up contrast, increase highlights and lose the rest in blending into the color below, depending of course what's on the layer below.

Now I would take the duplicate color face, move it to the top and lower the opacity dramatically (probably) to put some color back. Lastly, mask the melon and clear the eyes and mouth so you/model shows through unobscured.

I really don't know if this is a good process. I'm imagine you could google it. Also, other members are likely to chime in with good advice. So be patient! :mrgreen:

Tom Mann

Guru
Often, it's difficult to describe in words exactly the changes one wants in an image, so it's often easier to simply show a possible change and ask, "is this in the right direction - if not, what's wrong with it". Before getting into the discussion of possible techniques, let me take this approach on your image:

How's this?

T

Attachments

• IMG_36680508470971-tjm01_acr-ps01-01.jpg
    IMG_36680508470971-tjm01_acr-ps01-01.jpg
    188.2 KB · Views: 6

ibclare

Queen Bee
Here's my version. If it is anything like what you want, I'll give you the psd or explain the steps or both.

Melon.jpg

BTW, that extra greenness of the skin/watermelon appears to be with a separate green color layer, maybe vivid light, color, or soft light blend mode, and masked out skin areas, such as I did with the lip color (and added some pink to melon given the process I used).

Another btw: Using the full-color image worked OK too. You can always use a hue/sat layer to control the amount of desat if you think it helps. Then consider using the hue/sat mask to the face, which is what I did one the melon layers to remove much of the green from the red.

Last edited:

andyb313

Thanks for your help. I forgot to cut out the eyes Lol. I am trying to figure it out as I don't have a tutorial. I took the top of the melon from the original but used a different melon for the face . could it be it was too dark? Yours is how I want it Lol. I used a displacement map and I did desaturate the face. I used overay and played with contrast and brightness but could not get the colour to come through. I will try again tomorrow using your advice and post the results
Thanks

ibclare

Queen Bee
I did this and ended up with ten layers. Could probably reduce it to 8. I'm counting several adjustment layers. But I made two watermelon layers on different blending modes and opacities, three face layers, 2 on altered blend modes,and a couple added color layers. None on overlay. I alters the color and as I said, heightens contrast and ignores other areas, usually backwards to what you want.

This isn't a one-step manipulation. You're a newbie so I wouldn't expect you to know this right off. Kudos to you for trying this. Heck of a way to learn the tools, etc. But . . . don't be shy about looking for help. Oh wait you came to us!

Again, I offer you my steps if you want me to outline them, then you can tweak 'em as you like. Maybe you prefer to mess around; some people do and that's cool. Do post your results. I look forward to it.

andyb313

Yeh I am slightly confused but I'm sure it will make more sense when its in front of me. I ended up with 3 layers and 1 was the original image with the body Lol. Could you send me the PSD son I could have a look? Could you email it to andyb313 at gmail dot com? Many thanks for your help!

andyb313

Stupidly i merged the layers so my PSD was useless lol!

tried again but using screen it was just very white with a bit of detail so still had to use multiply??

Would you be able to look at my PSD and see what i am doing wrong?

Here is the new image
Melon Retry.jpgIMG_36680508470971.jpeg

ibclare

Queen Bee
Sorry, I missed the post with your email. Haven't checked back in and no notification yet. Anyway ... You realize that some of the moves I made may not be in the psd if I used filters, transform, etc. But I think what you're doing won't require much of those.

Yes, the new image is better. Attach the psd and I'll look it over, or anyone else with ideas can do the same.

When I used screen, I also used a layer or two on top of it. Can't remember at the moment. But I think a different approach to the whole process might work better. I'm interested to see yours.

Last edited:

andyb313

How can I send my PSD to you? Can I upload it on here? I am a complete noob and have never used layers for filters ect. Can anyone suggest a good tutorial that would help me get to grips with these?

Thanks

Tom Mann

Guru
Hi Andy - To attach any type of file to a message, just zip it. The forum software doesn't filter these.

Tom

PS - I really like the version you posted where the head is in two shades of green, not green and yellow.

ibclare

Queen Bee
Andy, I made three changes, a new screen layer and two levels adjustment layers.

I duplicated the head at top of layer stack. I changed it to screen mode and settled on 25% (after making levels adjustment to layer below).

I added a layer adjustment to the head at set the black to 30 and gamma to .8; made an adjustment to the shirt also because I think it was too dark.

One other thing you could consider is duplicating the head you had at top of layer stack, moving it to the top, increasing the dark levels settings or add a saturation/contrast layer adjustment then fiddling with the blend mode, just to see if it gives you a slightly better contrast. I'd have to experiment to see if I wanted to use the color or the desat head. See what you think of the results so far. Here's a screen capture.

Melon.PNG