What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Photoshop mission impossible?!

mafiamoll

Hi!

I am a self taught photoshopper and am trying to retouch a photo my husband shot (the roll is dirty at the end) but I simply cannot work out how to do it.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Please remember I am self taught so baby speak is good!!

Many thanks in advance!!

N

Attachments

• _MG_0157done.jpg
    _MG_0157done.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 14

ibclare

Queen Bee
You might have some luck by using a hue/saturation layer.

You'll need to select that inner "circle" first. Use the magic wand or quick select tool which is paired with the wand. A pen tool would be best, but unless you've practiced, it is not a jump into tool to use.

Once you have your selection, make a slight feather. Go to select>modify>feather. Base the size on the image. You just want to blur the edges a bit to make them blend.

Now go to layer>new adjustment layer>hue/saturation.

Change the hue a bit more towards red, then up the saturation till it looks better. Be careful not to oversaturate or you'll get some ugly, glowing artifact. Experiemnt with checking the colorize box option on that window. It might give better results.

If you're having trouble following this, let me know and I'll see if I can make an understandable visual tutorial for you.

mafiamoll

Thanks so much for the reply Clare! I will try going through your suggestion now. While I was waiting for a reply I had another go….. using a bit of a crazy idea!…. what do you think? I guess it would be ok if the pic was only going to ever be used small!!? (having trouble inserting my image! Not sure if it will show or not either way I will try your suggestions now! missionimpossible.jpg

Attachments

• missionimpossible.psd
    4.1 MB · Views: 2

ibclare

Queen Bee
Well, I made one anyway.

First step: Use a selection tool. I used the quick select - keyboard shortcut "W." Once you have done a rough selection, check your edges. Use the alt/opt plus click the selection tool to constrain to/subtract from the edges to the selection. With the wand or quick select you needn't use the shift/add as they auto add selection.

HueSat-select.png

Second: Once you have your selection, I would suggest refine edge. Go to select>refine edge. Choose the black background. Now choose smooth, then feather so the edge look smooth and just a bit blurry.

HueSat-REFINE.png

Third: Use this selection to make a new layer.

HueSat.PNG

Go to layer>adjustment>hue saturation. Be sure when the layer adjustment window pops up that you check the previous layer only box.

HueSat-2.PNG

Take a look at the hue/sat settings I chose. Minus 3 for the hue and plus 88 for the saturation.

HueSat-4.PNG

Fourth: If you're not happy with the red of the rest of the roll, make another hue/sat layer for the bottom layer - check the box - make a small change in the hue to match them up better.

HueSat-5.PNG

I hope this explains my procedure well enough.

ALB68

Dear Departed Guru and PSG Staff Member
Also you can try this. Use the Magic Wand tool, be sure that the Contiguous box is Unchecked. Select the dirty part over on the right side that appears to be the darkest. Then, apply a Curves adjustment layer, select the red channel and move your curve upward to lighten the selection.
carpet roll.JPG

Last edited:

mafiamoll

Ok so I tried fiddling with the Hue and Saturation but I couldn't get rid of the 'dirty' bits so I tried the curve thing to see if I could get the dark bits to go away but it gave me an idea…. I duplicated the layer using the paint bucket I poured red in a square that covered the dirty end and then fiddled with the layer types till I hit overlay and it seemed to get rid of them but…. not sure if it looks a bit fake now…..?

missionimpossible2.jpg

Tom Mann

Guru
I used "Color Mechanic". This required 1 layer and took about 30 seconds. It certainly isn't perfect, but it isn't that bad for a quick fix.

Although not specifically needed, I also applied smart sharpen to the (our) RHS of the roll to sharpen up the individual turns in the roll. Click on the preview to see the full sized version.

Tom

Attachments

• _MG_0157done-acr0-ps01a_color_mech-02_sRGB.jpg
    _MG_0157done-acr0-ps01a_color_mech-02_sRGB.jpg
    666.8 KB · Views: 8

ibclare

Queen Bee
What is "color mechanic" Tom, an outside plug-in? I was trying to achieve the effect using native PS tools, but maybe a little curved could fix the oversaturated look of my results.

ibclare

Queen Bee
To lessen the effects of the over-brightness of the red, I applied a curves layer to lighten and soften the colors. I think it could work well to apply it only to the selected red layer and not make any hue changes in the original layer.

Here are the settings for hue/sat and curve I have just applied. I think it helps some. You could play with the hue setting to reduce the violet or add a color balance adjustment if you want to try that.

rug1.PNG hue/sat settings

rug2.PNG curves settings

Last edited:

Tom Mann

Guru
Last edited: