What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Easier sharing

Vafann

Guru
I don´t really know anything about how things like this work, and what is feasible, but I think there should be something here that makes uploading and sharing resources easier.

Couldn´t there be the same kind of quick upload icon thing as the tree window, (sorry I don´t know what anything is called lol) for PSD´s and ABR´s and things? at least some kind of shortcut that makes things easier to link than going to the "advanced" part and doing it from there?

And also, would it take up too much space or something to have a forum where people could upload high resolution stock images, and backgrounds and things to share? I think that would bring in quite a bit of traffic to the site, as well as being a cool resource in general.

I have tons of pictures and things I would like to give away, but it´s such a hassle to resize things and so on, and the quality turns out bad as well.

I suppose that if this were possible it would already have been done, again, I don´t know about the space thing, I´m just wondering. :)

Steve

Retired Administrator
Hi Vafann.

I think I know what you mean but we stuck within the restraints of what the program can do.
As you know the
insertimage.png
icon and and Manage Attachments is what we're stuck with.

Right now bushes and other tools can be uploaded to,
Forum: Photoshop Brushes
Share & Download Adobe Photoshop Brushes and other drawing & painting tools

Images can be posted at,
Forum: Show-Board
Post your artwork, ask for critique, show off, and help others learn through example.

Now I know what you mean about being organized and easy to find but vBulletin
isn't setup like a search-able database for searching and finding specific images.

It doesn't even do a great job finding specific posts.

The only think I can think of is for you to start a new post in the appropriate section and post your high resolution images in that thread. When you have addition images you can post them in the same thread.

If the jpg's are larger than what's allowed, you can put the image in a Zip or Rar folder, then you would need to provide a thumbnail.

Another option is linking from a photo sharing site that doesn't compress the file.

I'm happy to work with you to figure out a good way to make this work.
Steve

Vafann

Guru
Hi Vafann.

I think I know what you mean but we stuck within the restraints of what the program can do.
As you know the
insertimage.png
icon and and Manage Attachments is what we're stuck with.

Right now bushes and other tools can be uploaded to,
Forum: Photoshop Brushes
Share & Download Adobe Photoshop Brushes and other drawing & painting tools

Images can be posted at,
Forum: Show-Board
Post your artwork, ask for critique, show off, and help others learn through example.

Now I know what you mean about being organized and easy to find but vBulletin
isn't setup like a search-able database for searching and finding specific images.

It doesn't even do a great job finding specific posts.

The only think I can think of is for you to start a new post in the appropriate section and post your high resolution images in that thread. When you have addition images you can post them in the same thread.

If the jpg's are larger than what's allowed, you can put the image in a Zip or Rar folder, then you would need to provide a thumbnail.

Another option is linking from a photo sharing site that doesn't compress the file.

I'm happy to work with you to figure out a good way to make this work.
Steve

Thank you Steve! What is the limit size for Jpegs? Most photos directly out of a camera are like about between 2 and 10 mp or something I think. I know you say that the max limit for Psd´s are like 20 mp, if this is the same for pictures then it shouldn´t be a problem? I keep thinking that this is a storage space problem, I don´t understand the space economy thing here. :)

Steve

Retired Administrator
You can post what is just under a 10MP image at 3500X3500 and 10MB.
Those limits were put there by admin so he must feel server space can handle those sizes.

There are a few obstacles I see for this working well here.
You can't search effectively for a specific type of image and since this is a talk forum you'll get more talk than images.
More images mean more comments and you'll get what we already.

Look closer at Albums and see if that's something that may be useful for you, I will too.
It would be a showcase though not a search-able database.

Hoogle

Guru
You can however just use winrar and put all your brush presets pattern presets etc all in 1 archive then you could also use something like ABR viewer to save a png of the brushes which will take a snap shot of your brushes in that set and make it all into 1 image so people know what your sharing comes out like this
butterflies.png
and if I want to share these brushes with you I just add it to a rar file and upload that by using the upload image quick link in quick reply and you get this View attachment Butterflies_s2o.rar

Hoogle

Guru
In fact why not just have a topic called sharing with threads of brushes 1 for layer styles and 1 for patterns with the rules of the only thing with every post is an ABR viewer or equivalent preview image like my above post a description maybe and a download file that is a zip with the brushes, layer styles or patterns in. People can not comment on it but everyone can say thankyou via the thank you and like link that way each post will be an easy to see image of what your downloading and the actual download. That would keep the thread tidy and people can browse quickly to see if anyone has shared anything they would like.

Vafann

Guru
You can post what is just under a 10MP image at 3500X3500 and 10MB.
Those limits were put there by admin so he must feel server space can handle those sizes.

There are a few obstacles I see for this working well here.
You can't search effectively for a specific type of image and since this is a talk forum you'll get more talk than images.
More images mean more comments and you'll get what we already.

Look closer at Albums and see if that's something that may be useful for you, I will too.
It would be a showcase though not a search-able database.

I understand that it would be hard to search for any specific image, but we could maybe just have a thread or forum or something called " PSG Free Stock Photos/ Resources" or something, and then people would have to look around for themselves at what is in it, or have a forum with different threads like "Nature photos", "Animal Photos" "Misc Photos" and so on?

If someone is looking for a certain kind of image for a project or something, then they can look around and maybe find something usuful? :)

I´m sure most everybody has a bunch of images laying around just taking up space, they could post them here, they wouldn´t have to be their best work or anything, you never know when you might even just need to cut out some little part of something, that might otherwise not be of much use to anyone. :)

Vafann

Guru
In fact why not just have a topic called sharing with threads of brushes 1 for layer styles and 1 for patterns with the rules of the only thing with every post is an ABR viewer or equivalent preview image like my above post a description maybe and a download file that is a zip with the brushes, layer styles or patterns in. People can not comment on it but everyone can say thankyou via the thank you and like link that way each post will be an easy to see image of what your downloading and the actual download. That would keep the thread tidy and people can browse quickly to see if anyone has shared anything they would like.

Yes Hoogle! I think that´s a good idea too! I think the "thanks" link would suffice, if someone really likes something a lot, and wants to personally comment and thank someone, they can always PM them. :)

Steve

Retired Administrator
Adam, CloudApp seems to be Mac only.
If not how do we make it work here?

Hoogle, that's fine for a brushes but not practical for very large Hi Rez images.
Downloading a compressed folder with 15-20 hi rez images just to get the 1 image that you want isn't going to work.

Hoogle

Guru
Images then could be done by creating an album a photobucket or flickr they take high resolution images then just link the album here.

Steve

Retired Administrator
Some of those sites compress or limit the size of images.
I have a Photobucket account.

I use it a few times a year when I need a link instead of directly posting an image.
I believe (and I could be wrong) they shrink your image, that is, if I upload a 10MP image out of the camera, the image gets converted to a much lower resolution image.

That makes it useless when sharing Hi Rez images the way Vafann is suggesting.

I'd appreciate any help you could provide with this Hoogle.
Steve

Hoogle

Guru
Ok the best 2 I can find are Flickr they claim to upload and sahre with original resolution. It is easy to set up an account and create an album and it is free here is a sample I just found All sizes | Hell Yeah Beer - Press Pic XII (High Resolution) | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

The 2nd Option I really do like Is Kodak Gallery not only does it upload full resolution images it also offers a variety of printing services Online Photo Printing, Photo Books, Photo Cards at KODAK Gallery
and this is what they state in the image uploading section
Capture.PNG
And it lets you create albums and from the sounds of it you can have multiple people add to the album looking at the top point
both you would need an account for but that is best for uploading albums

Hoogle

Guru
oh and look at the size of the flickr link (5616 x 3744) do we really need anything bigger than that I have not found a hosting site for Raw files or DNG but I am guessing not many people here will be sharing them.

Hoogle

Guru
I will help set it up tomorrow evening nearly 4 am here and I will have to write some tutorials though etc on how to save and share brushes or whatever. The only problem I see is the fact we have to add them to a rar file or a zip which means anyone could potentially upload anything malicious inappropriate content. etc. I am all up for trusting people but I have a good antivirus and zip checker. I would suggest that we do an attachment awaiting approval like in the free lance section and wait for a mod to scan it but A) the mods are short stretched on here and B why should they risk everything. I am also ok as if I get a virus I loose nothing I plug in a usb pen reboot my computer and 15 mins later I have windows cleanly installed with all my programs and plugins etc with it (How I love disc images) So Do we go on good faith or do we need to overlook the content, we had an issue before on 1 of my sites similar to this but not photoshop someone uploaded some free beat samples in a zip on extracting it there were the samples but a whole folder with illegal images and I wouldnt want that happening here. Or is there a post count score before anyone can upload zip files etc.

Steve

Retired Administrator
We're dealing with 2 separate things here.
When you're talking about compressed files and potential viruses you're talking about brushes.
That section already exists and people are already linking to brush sets.

I don't know if anyone has actually uploaded a brush set (with or without a virus) but that whole mechanism is already in place.
I think VaFann's position is just to add more content quicker.

As for Hi Rez images.
VaFann's idea is draw people to PSG with Hi Rez images.

How can we use a Flickr account and incorporate it into PSG?
I'm not seeing it or am I missing something?

Hoogle

Guru
well it is back to the drawing board anyway after spending the day of creating high resolution image albums and uploading them to all the sites that claim to support it none of them do Kodak requires that everyone that looks at the album has to be a member. and my 2nd option of Flickr will only go upto 1024 x 1024 I believe unless you have a pro account. The idea behind it was that people searching the forum for pictures could search around and look for key words and look at each new response in 1 thread as a new resource where it was not filled with chit chat. the uploader would post a description of the album with a link to the album, So that A) Keeps the thread tidy, B) minimalises the amount of space on psg servers if the images are being hosted elsewhere, C) millions of people search Flickr everyday for images if you have images people look at then you are effectively getting free advertising to millions of people every day now admittedly it is down to each person hosting an Album you could link the site in the description, Have the 1st image of any album being basically an advert for PSG.

I have been bulding lots of websites today as well with various companies offering free space etc to see if I could create a seperate site as an add on to this site but focusing more on sharing having resources more accessible. However the 300 MB average of hosting space per month is gone pretty quickly when it comes to hosting high resolution images.

But then if you have enough room to host large galleries here then that is the problem solved. However I would take the forum aspect part away from the development of this section and have it more as online gallery set up.
But with this unless you are going to embed tags into images albums and site then you are loosing google searching capabilities which brings me back to flickr etc
THey get priority placements in search engine searches(being owned by yahoo) THey already have plenty of web traffic on a daily basis, YOu are getting a free advert for every picture uploaded for this site.

But that was my way of thinking. Yes I looked at the brush sharing section and for what it is worth I would rather google a specific brush set than have to look through all the posts in that section it is messy. It is a nice idea but considering most of the 1s there are probably to easies 1s to find using google and the fact there is no organisation as it stands I would not use it as my primary first point of reference for specific brush hunting.

If we are to set up something then yes it needs a lot more thought well I say we I mean you guys at the top especially regarding what resources are available to us, :=)