What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Board Text

boink

I'm not much of a complainer but...the text on the board is a nightmare for me to try and read because it's way to light.
I have a lot of friends that won't even come here and go somewhere else because of the color of the text and I'm beginning to feel the same way.

It may be the trends but it's a stupid trend for the some of the ones of us that have to wear glasses or don't have perfect vision.
I also have a friend that is a script reader and her comment to me today was it's a disgusting site and I can't read it.

A costly story about light text: My husband needed to upgrade two new plotters (large format printers) so he goes on the hunt for them in the internet.
We made a budget to be no more than about $17,000.00 for both of them. So, he finds what he's looking for with both of us straining our eyes to try and read the site,
We wanted to ask the business a question about delivery and set up fees to our office. When we go to the contact form the page was white and the letters were a light grey and we couldn't read them.
My husband said no way. If they think this is cute or trendy then I'm not going to pay them thousands of dollars when I can't even read anything on their site.

We go to another site and we could READ the site and he contact form. We sent them a message and less than 30 minutes they called us on the phone. We got the information and gave them the order. The next afternoon they arrive and install the two new plotters and we give them a check for a little over $16,000.00.

Light text on a website cost a company over 16k.

It's sad to say I have problems reading this site and dread coming here because of the light text.

Tom Mann

Guru
In The lower left hand corner of many of the index pages, there is an option to change the skin on this site. I for example have it set to show black text on a white background. There are other options as to the width. Experiment and I bet you will find some much better than the one you're currently using. Please let us know.

Tom

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Perhaps you could provide a screen shot of the text from this site as viewed from your computer.

edit: Please understand, I'm trying to help you out with this problem. Is there any way you can provide us with the link to the site of the first company you were having trouble reading their text?

Thanks!

Last edited:

boink

I'm not trying to cause a riff here guys I'm just telling you what some of us see and think. I've enclosed a screen shot of what all the machines see in my office on all the browsers when we access the board.
I cannot read the light blue letters nor the lighter color under the forum topics. This is the same thing other people I know see that visit the board. Also, not everyone knows you can change the theme on some boards. For me to be able to read the board I had to change the theme to the dark grey one. I'm not out to offend anyone but I do enjoy reading and learning from the board as other people I know do and it's been frustrating with that theme.

photoshop guru shot.jpg

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
Not at all.... we're merely looking into what may be your problem.

Your on the default view and yes, some will find the text hard to read.

At the bottom footer of this page, you'll find the Quick Style Chooser. Select one that's easy on your eyes and makes reading easier.

May I suggest PSG Dark 2.0..... Or PSG Fixed 4.2 if you prefer a white background.

It may be your monitors setting - Brightness and Contrast. I've checked the style you used and the text is just nice and dark and readable to me.

Tom Mann

Guru
No problem whatsoever, Boink -- we're just trying to get to the bottom of the problem.

The first thing I see is that your screen shot looks essentially identical to what I normally see on any of my systems including a very high end production machine, a 5 y.o. system I use for maintaining my photo archive, several other computers at work, my laptop, my iPhone, and my iPad. In fact you apparently are using the same theme in that screen shot that I, and many other people use without problem.

Unfortunately, in spite of its name, a "screen shot" such as you posted only tells me that the data has not been corrupted before it goes to your monitor. However, a poorly functioning, or even a poorly adjusted monitor (and/or associated video card) can take that nice looking data and turn it into visual mush, but a screen shot simply can not give any indication of this. Also, for the purpose of completeness, I should point out that if the user has a problem with their eyesight, we obviously can't tell this either from a screen shot.

As the next step in diagnosing the problem, let me suggest the following: Use your iPhone or other modern smart phone with a good camera to take a photo of your monitor while it is displaying the same screen. Take the photo as close as your camera will allow so that we can see individual pixels. This will provide a pretty good indication of whether the problem might be with the monitor.

Let us know.

Tom

boink

Thanks guys for your replies and trying to help. I would expect nothing less from any of you.

I had to carry some cad specs to one of our daughters office and she was still working. She's our Microvellum designer and uses three Lenovo Think Vision 30 inch monitors. One horizontal and two in vertical positions. Microvellum is one mean tough 3d cad program and requires probably the best graphics card on the market. I asked her to bring up this board and see what it looks like on her monitors.

To me it looked exactly the same as the screen shot. I asked her could she read it and she said the light blue was difficult to read and so were the small letters under the forum letters.

We've got plenty more monitors in our office and laptops and eyeballs so I'll get everyone else to take a look at it too and let you know what they see when they get into work.

Once again, I thank you for your replies and help.