What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How can I make a 6 sided shape with no equal length sides?

coffee_king

Hi there
Can anyone advise how I can draw (from scratch) a 6 sided shape.
I cant post an image on here (as I'm a newbie to this forum its going to be hard to explain without an image)
But google
Superman Logo
and then rather than a point at the bottom imagine a flat extra line (so it then has 6 sides rather than 5)

I can make a 6 sided shape no problem, but it always has equal length sides when I first produce it,
So I goto
Transform>skew
(as I would image I could change its shape with) it just never looks right.

I take it I either want to drag the corners in and out or to perhaps input the details of size/length/angles etc (but I imagine this will take too long).

It is even possible to make this image in 1 go?

Any help would be much appreciated

Thanks

Coffee_king

Hi there
As stated, I know how to draw a 6 figure shape (sorry I forgot to put that I was using custom shape), but cannot change the shape to the SUPERMAN emblem type shape
Please advise
Thanks
coffee_king

First time posting, hello everyone. (Hope this helps)

Use the pen tool and custom shape feature as mentioned above in the wonderful mini-tutorial by mfox. Then pick your pen tool, just as mfox mentioned (located near the black 'T', or just hit Shift+p on the keyboard). Hold the ctrl key on the pc (cmd key on the mac), notice your pen tool is now an arrow. Use that arrow and click on the shape (hexagon lines) you just created (you should see the corners of the shape change to grey boxes). Modify/move (click and drag) your points to where you need them. That is, while you continue to hold down the Ctrl/Cmd (control, or command) key. With very little time, you can have the shape you are needing. Now, from this point you could create your own custom shape (to use over and over again):

Use google to find a quick tutorial on creating custom shapes
(can't post a link yet, I need count post of 5 or greater, sorry)

....or just stroke the path using the 'Stroke Path With Brush' feature found in the Path tab near your Layers Palette (look at the bottom of the pallete once you have clicked the Paths tab).

Side Note: If you have the brush tool selected when you stroke a path, Photoshop will take into consideration your choice of brush. Otherwise, it is a line that is only 1 pixel wide.

hey guys
Sorry but this method just isn't exact enough.
I need to be able to state how long I need each side to be.
I take it this ISN'T possible in Photoshop then?
Can anyone else suggest another program I can do it in and then import it as a vector graphic?

thanks
coffee_king

Sorry we dont do your work, we help
If you need a specific length Simply use the Ruler Tool is you have Extened if you dont Use the ruler on the document and transform it to the side then re pen tool it.

If you'd rather word exclusively in vector, maybe Illustrator would be better for you. You could also use the grid tool to help make your shape exact. Look around sites that offer free shapes and maybe you could find the shape you are trying to recreate.

Back