What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Resizing From 4mb to 2mb

travln1

Hi, I'm trying to reduce a photo for a contest. The rules state the maximum size is 2mb, and I'd like to get as close to that as possible, however I don't know how to do that. I know how to resize, but I don't know how to get it close to 2mb. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. The original photo is 3,888 x 2,592 and is 4.6 mb. It's in jpg format. When I save it, without altering it at all, it saves as a 1.2 mb photo, which I find odd. I have Photoshop CS4. Thanks.

JLBerry

The original photo is 3,888 x 2,592 and is 4.6 mb. It's in jpg format. When I save it, without altering it at all, it saves as a 1.2 mb photo, which I find odd.

That's because the quality setting you used when you saved the file in Photoshop was lower than then the original quality setting of the 4.6 MB file, resulting in a smaller file size.

Be aware! You made the file size almost 4 times smaller, so the quality will suffer immensely from that and there is NO way to recover the original quality, unless you still have a backup copy of the original 4.6MB file. ;)

JLBerry

Btw, both File / Save As and File / Save for Web have a window where you enter a the Jpeg quality that also shows a rough estimate of the final file size.

travln1

Thanks. I used the "save as" feature, so I haven't lost the original, plus it's still on the card, too.