What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to reset Photoshop preferences (In Windows and Mac)

iDad

Guru
I saw this reply from"Steve" in another thread.thought it would be a good thread for search purposes

How to reset Photoshop preferences (In Windows):
First, hold down all three Ctrl+Alt+Shift buttons
Now "while keeping those button held," simply open Photoshop or a file that opens with Photoshop
As Photoshop loads, you should get a prompt asking if you would like to "delete the Photoshop settings file", Click yes
You should now have a fresh slate with all of the settings returned to their default.

Thanks Steve!
Can't forget Gaussian he says

On a Mac, hold Command+Option+Shift while starting Photoshop to delete the preferences.

Last edited:

Gaussian

Retired Administrator
On a Mac, hold Command+Option+Shift while starting Photoshop to delete the preferences.

Syessia

thanks!! it's just annoying to work on another image and get stumped for certain settings that you have set while working on previous edits!

Paul MR

The Script Master

davidphotoshop

How to reset Photoshop preferences (In Windows):
First, hold down all three Ctrl+Alt+Shift buttons
Now "while keeping those button held," simply open Photoshop or a file that opens with Photoshop
As Photoshop loads, you should get a prompt asking if you would like to "delete the Photoshop settings file", Click yes
You should now have a fresh slate with all of the settings returned to their default.

thanks, i will try it...

my brother change the preference and i dont know what change that he made, i need to make it default again .

Patricia0709

On Mac

When I installed Photoshop, I didn't have the gray background while working with it. It was transparent and I could see my desktop while using it. I think I pressed something that made the gray background appear. I tried right clicking it but there's no options to make it transparent. How do I change it back?

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
Last edited:

jenseib

I'm not sure if this will help me or not. I have CS3 on Windows 7. the other day I restarted my computer and lost all my presets. I didn't have a lot, but it sure was annoying. I had a few actions and just a couple of others I had save to be "my" default. Is there a way to retrieve them. this technique sounds like it will go back to the factory defaults...which I do no want.

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
Sorry ... AFK....

In any of the preset types...

Presets.jpg

Label the preset to your choice. As you can see, there's the option to RESET or REPLACE tool resets as well as Load tools preset Use these if you want to revert to the defaults or load your saved preset.

Or Click the preset manager where you can select the preset type you need and the preset from the drop down list....

nelsonsamuel

You are absolutely correct; however, if one has a scratch disk problem, this Ctl-Shift-Alt does not solve the problem.

Dana

I just tried this and it's not working. I get a different screen that opens saying DO YOU WANT THE FOLLOWING PROGRAM TO MAKE CHANGES TO THIS COMPUTER? Then it gives the program name, etc. with a Yes/No button

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
Did you do it in the right sequence? .... Launch PS .... before PS can load the startup screen, hold down CTRL+ALT+SHIFT / Command+Option+Shift (mac) .

Last edited:

Dana

Yes, did exactly what you said several times. It is not working. I have spent so much time trying to figure this out.