What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Turn selection marquee into an outline?

knowlton

In Photoshop CS4, when I make a selection, using the Rectangle Marquee tool, or even the Quick Selection tool, is it possible to turn the "dancing ants" into a line...into an outline of the selected area?

I'll post an example.

dancingantsoutline.jpg

tricky500

Edit : Reminder to self, read completely before answering.

Last edited:

Steve

Retired Administrator
Use the Custom Shape Tool (U) which is that amoeba shaped icon next to the line tool.
In the Shape Box: choose a square.
On That same line choose Fill Pixels, the third icon in on the left.
Choose the color you want and draw the box the same way you would make a selection with the marquee tool.

Do this on a separate layer so you can move it around an resize it if necessary.
This is just drawing a box, it's not making any selection like the marquee tool would.

hawkeye

Guru
Edit-stroke, then choose the color and line thickness.

Last edited:

knowlton

I want to CHANGE the marque to an outline....particularly for irregular shaped selections, like when all of one color is selected.

My example uses a rectangle marquee...but the shape of the selected area is incidental. It is the transformation of the "dancing ants" into an OUTLINE that I am wanting.

iDad

Guru
View attachment 439I think he wants. selection transformation right click selection> Transforms selection

oops mybad, thats not what he asked.DOH

Last edited: