What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to make cartoonish like picture?

kman

how would i make a picture from a normal picture taken from a camera. to one like this. is it even possible. i was in a graphics class in school, and worked with photoshop. but i am no where near as good as everyone else is. i just want to turn a picture of my truck like the picture of this guys truck. any help would be awesome thanks!
38147_104991976220896_100001302834840_37951_6960217_n.jpg

here is picture i want to make like that. can anyone tell me how or something?
c25332a0.jpg8d2f3b5c-1.jpg

iDad

Guru
lots of work involved to get it to the example but very possible

kman

i did try the tutorial before. but is that how you think they did it in the picture i posted? because it looks like that would take along time!

kman

i tried that video...and he just moves way to fast. and i suck at that tracing stuff! lol

iDad

Guru
i tried that video...and he just moves way to fast. and i suck at that tracing stuff! lol

I hear ya is steves rendering a help? are you looking for it to be done or a way to do it?

Last edited:

kman

yes steves kinda helps. im looking for a way to do it. im trying to contact the person that made the picture of the one i posted to see how they did it

Tron

Guru
Search around for an action to do it.... there's a lot of them on the web.

You may want to cut out the truck from the background if you are going for something like in your first pic. It will be easier to apply the effects to just the truck and get it looking the way you want it.

If you want to know how it was done just look through your history after the action runs.

It's going to take a lot of work IMHO. First thing you need to do is get a different picture, more close up so the edges are easy to work with. If you notice in your picture, the truck is far back leaving a lot of shadows, get as close up as you can while still getting the whole truck in the shot with as little shadows as possible, this will create a much easier to work with photo imho....

Basically get a picture of the truck while the sun or light is hitting the side your snapping not vice versa...

kman

well i emailed the person who made the picture..and looks like its hand drawn :(

Gaussian

Retired Administrator
Even so, you can achieve a look like this in Photoshop from a photo of the truck.

I do agree with DU that the starting image could better.... but direct sun on the truck is going to make some harsh shadows... I would go for a bounce off a white building or something similar.... or just do as DU suggested but on an overcast day.

kman

i will try to get better pics. they were taken with my iphone because i forgot to bring camera that day!

kman

well i tried drawing it. and i sucked at it lol. im using laptop and the laptop mouse sucks!

Gaussian

Retired Administrator
It would be difficult to draw with any mouse. I think a graphics tablet is a must if you are going to attempt drawing it.

Again, i agree 100%, i almost suggested that. I went yesterday to look at a Tablet but the Best Buy here didn't have any. I would really like to try one out before i buy it... I know one things for sure, it has to be a hell of a lot easier to draw with a tab VS a mouse..

Sorry for the double post here guys but something is bugging me about this guy telling our member that this is a sketch.. Ok, so it is a sketch but to get to a digital look like that, it went welll beyond a hand sketch, i believe the rough layout or outline could have been sketched but the rest was done in PS or another program like it.....

kman

that is what i dont understand! i didnt know they made a chrome marker or anythign for the rims. i dont see how its possible to draw that and make it look like it was photoshoped!