What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

problems printing size on paper different than in photoshop doc

aco9587

i created a document exactly 8.5" x 11" , the same size as a regular sheet of printer paper. i created another document(pic) exactly 2" x 3" and cut and pasted it to the larger document. I am using a hp photosmart C310a printer. When i print the document, the 2" x 3" doc(pic) prints 1/16" smaller in width and 2/16" smaller in length.

how can this be when the doc(pic) is exactly 2" x 3" in photoshop? this happens whether i print it in photoshop or go thru internet explorer and right click on the jpg and print that way also.

is there some setting in photoshop im missing?

Steve

Retired Administrator
Are you printing this in Photoshop?
You have tell PS and your printer to print the whole thing as a border less image.
The entire 8.5X11 image is probably a little smaller along with the 2X3 image.

chet webley

i created a document exactly 8.5" x 11" , the same size as a regular sheet of printer paper. i created another document(pic) exactly 2" x 3" and cut and pasted it to the larger document.

Make sure that in the print dialogue, you have unchecked "scale to fit print area" - Because your document is exactly the same size as the piece of paper, if you have this option checked, it will shrink the image to fit within the print area, thereby shrinking the bit that you want to print too - Most desktop inkjets need a few millimetres around the edge of the paper to grip, so can't print right up to the edge of the paper.

If this doesn't work, just crop the image to the bit that you want to print, and in the print dialogue, make sure that the scaling is set to 100% - you can then use some of the functions in the print dialogue to position the document where you want it in the page (this is a bit fiddly though).

:)

aco9587

Checking "borderless image" only makes things worse, it cuts off 1/4 " more from the pic on all 4 sides when i print it out.
i always had 'scale to print' off.
I called HP and they told me that the printer automatically sets the margins at 3/4" on all sides, and that my problem was a software issue and they would do nothing to help me :( blah on HP.....

I have no idea how to change all margins to 0 in photoshop, not sure how to use the 'Crop' tool either.

Is there any signifigance to the 'Center Image' settings in Photoshop --> Print settings?

Another question is if for 'color handling:' when printing in Photoshop should i let the Printer manage the colors or let Photoshop manage the colors for the best quality printed picture?

Thanks for helping

aco9587

just figured it out, instead of using a doc size of 8.5" x 11 i changed it to 7.5" x 10 and changed the 'color handling' to "Photoshop Manages Colors" and the 'printer profile' to "Working CMYK"

I can now only fit 9 2" x 3" pics on the doc sheet now instead of 12 due to the reduced size though.

I totally missed where the printer profile said 'RGB' , and im working with CMYK.