What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Printed Output image different than Palette size in Photoshop CS3

bozojim

Hello,:rolleyes:

Printed Output image ( 3-5/16 in. BY 3-1/2 in) different than 5 in. BY 5 in.Palette size in CS3. Can someone tell me what happened?

I have Photoshop CS3, and I guess I have a temporary lapse of reasoning. I was playing around with my desktop resolution (1024x768) using a Viewsonic 20” Monitor, ( VX2035wm) but don’t remember what I had it on.

I created a new palette in Photoshop created a 5”x5” square, filled it in with a tan color to print to see if the size would stay the same. When I put a ruler up against the screen to measure the box, it measured 6-1/8” x 7-3/8” !!!

This time I printed it out, took a ruler and measured the filled box, and noticed it actually measured 3-5/16” Wide by 3-1/2” Height.!

Am I going crazy? Yeah, call me whatever you like, I'm just as embarrassed as you might think. Thanks!

GeForce NVidia 8600 GT
Photoshop CS3
Windows XP SP3
Setting at present - 1024x768

(Native) resolution on monitor – 1680x1050…. too small

Last edited:
What si the resolution of the image set to (Image --> Image Size)? and are you viewing in print size or actual pixels?

Thanks Admin,
I created a NEW image sized it to 6" BY 6".
The IMAGE SIZE WAS - 6 BY 6
Resolution 300 DPI (I always use this for detailed work)
Presample image - Checked on
Constrain Proportions - Off
Pixel Dim. 9.27M
1800 BY 1800 Pixels

The printed output size remained the 6 BY 6 size I wanted. Measuring the image on the monitor was silly, because the navigator can increase or decrease the size accordingly. Duh!:redface:
Again, I was playing around with the Desktop Screen resolution and thought for a moment I messed something up. My bad.;) Everyone's eyes are different,so the screen resolution will differ from one monitor to the next. 1024 BY 768 / 32Bit Highest, is what I'm using. Thanks for the silly questions.

The problem with measuring off the monitor is the PPI. If your picture is 300 PPI and your monitor doesn't display 300 PPI then obviously it won't measure correctly.

If you want to check your screen resolution measure across the top, then divide the pixel dimension by that number. Let's say your monitor is 1024 and measures 12inches, 1024/12=85.33 PPI

How much to sharpen an image for printing, for instance, should be based on the screen resolution.

Last edited:

Don't you just LOVE US newbies?
:eek:
If am hearing you correctly,my present screen resolution is 1024 BY 768 (High) The width of my widescreen monitor is 17.0 in. So I would take the 1024 divide that by 17.0 = 60.23?
....INSERT DUMB or SILLY QUESTION HERE >
What do I do with the 60.23 in Photoshop? Anything?

(Viewsonic Widescren vx2035WM Monitor 17 BY 10.75 In.)
(Recommends native VESA 1620 by 1050 60 hz)

BUT WAIT..THERE'S MORE....Another newbie inquiry....
I have an Epson NX300 All-in-one, and the only Color profile that's selected in the printer preferences is a EEIJP_2.(maybe an Epson file)

Should I be using a Photoshop color profile for matching what I create in Photoshop, or does it matter at all? This is not professional output, and I usually print as saved .JPGs. But would nice to get as close to as what I see on the palette. Thanks again! :p

Back