What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drop shadow, this is totally cool.

ik2

Ok, probably not cool to the gurus on here, but I think it is fantastic.

My phone has a built in weather app is from and I just love the shadow bar effect at the top. It makes it look like the top bar is bending above the actual content.

I looked around for some shadow tutorials and found some neat stuff but nothing like this. Anyone know of a tutorial online for this type of shadow?

accu.jpg

Last edited:

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
I can't say it's not cool. In fact it gives the impression the bar is curved that's why you have that shadow.

What I can suggest is to create a shadow via layer copy of the bar.... fill the the bar with black.... apply gaussian blur to create shadow .... and use the warp tool to pull the center downwards.. adjust the shadow layer in place.

I'll poist an image in a while to show you what I mean....

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
lol.... didn't see your post, Steve. Thanks for the back-up.....

ik2.... I may be wrong but the shadow on your image looks narrower than the bar itself..... your preference to transform or not..... and the shape....you have to pull the handle bars sideways outward to get a rounder arc.....

ik2

Thanks guys, I was able to get something that sorta looks like the original. It does not seem to have as much 'bend' to it but it looks OK. If the banner at the top was thinner I think the bend effect would be more pronounced.

The banner at the top has our company logo, but I removed it as the MOD's on here seem a bit crazy about promotion or something.

Attachments

• shadow.jpg
    shadow.jpg
    7.8 KB · Views: 18

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
The banner at the top has our company logo, but I removed it as the MOD's on here seem a bit crazy about promotion or something.

LOL.... I don't think so... lol.... If it were a link to a non-PS site ( selling pottery, watches or the infamous V ) and you're just on your second post, they will have cause to press the alarm bell.... lol....

As for the arc in your image, it's because I see to much a amount of blur in the shadow and as I mentioned , you need to pull the handle bars outward a bit more to add to the curve.

Decrease the amount of blur to make the shadow more pronounced and add a bit more to the curve. But the preference is yours...... glad you got to do it.