What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

PS CS3 is a memory hog monster and is all of a sudden out of control

Graphicsmomma

Hi all,

I'm at a loss.

I got my new laptop in December, never had any issues with PS CS3 being a memory hog monster before, but in the last 2 months, it freezes up when it gets to "reading Preferences" and won't go any further. It doesn't freeze up my laptop though.

So I start Task Manager and shut down some of the processes I am running, and that used to help, but now it won't even open. Even when I shut down the processes that were hosing things up. It shows it is up to 900,000 K for memory and has gotten up to 1,300,000. Now, I also run Fireworks and PSP X2, but it has never been a problem to run all 3 at the same time. But even when I shut those 2 down, still won't work.

I don't know what to do. I have more memory to put in, but even though my hubby is good at computers and builds them, he has hosed up a few of my laptops and a PC when installing memory and I had to get new ones, so I am way too afraid to have him do it. Not sure how much it would cost at best buy?

I have a graphics store online and so I need my laptop daily, as I hate using my dinosaur PC.

Any tips or CURES appreciated! I'm glad I found this place!

Thanks!

Steve

Retired Administrator
I doubt its a PS problem.
Try running a registry cleaner like CCleaner or something similar, this sounds more like a PC problem than a PS problem.

Just for the record:
Although I personally use CCleaner on my computers and never had an issue, use it at your own risk.
Neither me, PSG, or anyone connected to PSG endorse or guarantees the results of any registry cleaner products.

Carrie56

Power User
Try purging photoshop. To do this open photoshop and open a file in photoshop. Perform something simple on the file then go to Edit>purge>all This will clear the memory for photoshop from your computer and you will not be able to undo any photos you are working on but it may clear up the memory problem too. Good luck.