What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rotating an image results in a fractured stroke

richrc1131

PS Version: CS2
Platform: Win7 (64bit)
Experience level: newbie

I created a polaroid'ish rectangle.
I added a 1px stroke around it.
I then tried to tilt it with Crtl-t

When it was tilted, it resulted in a fractured stroke around the image. How can I tilt the image and keep the stroke intact?

Attachments

• fractured_1px_stroke.png
    fractured_1px_stroke.png
    42.9 KB · Views: 30

Stric9

Power User
Is the stroke actually fractured or is it the way your display renders the image at that resolution? I would zoom in and out to make sure that the stoke is actually fractured.

richrc1131

I tried removing the stroke, tilting, and putting the stroke back, but it still appeared fractured. I also zoomed in and out and it still appeared fractured.

Please look at the zoomed in image attached. fractured_1px_stroke_zoomed.png

Stric9

Power User
Have you printed it? If not I would print it and see what the print looks like.

Hi richrc1131

When in a straight picture or any shape, all the pixels are next to each other or underneath one to another in a straight line, so you can see a straight and smooth line or stroke around it right.

When you rotate the object Photoshop needs to make up these "straight" lines by deciding whether a pixel will be black or white, that's when you may see a jagged or fractured line, but that will be noticeable only if your zoom ratio is pretty high.

If you want to a really smooth lines you need to use vector based software like Illustrator because Illustrator doesn't treat images as pixels but vectors which is a mathematical interpretation of a pixel,

Difference Between Pixels and Vectors

If you are not enlarging the image to print it will likely not be noticeable so make sure you produce your final work at the size that you will be printing it at.

Also the higher the resolution, the less noticeable this pixelated or fractured effect will be.

Hope this helps.

zuhloobie

Same happens to me. Best fix I've found is to create a stroke ("frame") in Illustrator then bring it into Photoshop as a vector shape. Not perfect, but way better than doing strokes straight from Photoshop.

cyclone2426

Same happens to me. Best fix I've found is to create a stroke ("frame") in Illustrator then bring it into Photoshop as a vector shape. Not perfect, but way better than doing strokes straight from Photoshop.

I agree, plus If you dont happen to have Illustrator, you can always create the vector shapes within Photoshop as well, but at the end day like $1r_M4x1mu$ said, Photoshop will always display it as pixels.http://www.photoshopgurus.com/forum/members/$1r_m4x1mu$.html