What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Digital Advertising project help.. Where to start.

slinky157

Hey folks.. Figured this would be a good place to get some help.

I'm doing a digital advertising project that is "multifaceted" as my prof put it.

I have to create a slideshow, using pictures of individuals performing random acts (ie. playing basketball).. I then need to choose a product that would fit the scene and write/draw product logos and branding of an appropriate product and use Photoshop to place the drawing on the subject (ie. a shirtless man running may get Nike or Adidas logo/branding drawn on his torso). The catch is, i can't actually draw or write on the photo using Photoshop, nor can I print the photo and draw it on by hand. I need to draw the branding on a separate medium (paper or anything else) and use Photoshop to make it fit in the picture. Of course lighting needs to match as well as it needing to fit the contours of whatever I'm drawing it on. So if I'm branding a hat on someones head, the logo will need fit the curvature of the head, a logo on someones back will need to fit the contours of their back. Basically, it needs to look like I had the person in front of me and was able to draw/paint on their skin and then take a picture of it.

I'm not sure where to start within photoshop really. I know my way around the interface and I can do some nice photo editing, but this is a little outside my reach.

There were no lessons on this, prof said we can use any and all resources, so asking for help online is not breaking the law in this case..

Any help or advice appreciated.. Thanks! :banghead:

Paul

Former Member
Have you got a image example to help us sort out the complex ask please?

slinky157

Thanks for the response Belial.. I'm in the car driving right now, so I can't post up a picture.. Maybe a simpler way to explain it would be like this.. I need to take a picture or writing from a piece of paper or another picture, and make it look like a tattoo on someone. So if I draw the ABERCROMBIE logo on a piece of paper, I need to use photoshop to make it look like a tattoo on a person that looks like they would wear something from the company ABERCROMBIE. I'll post up a picture for you when I get home tonight.. Thanks!

Stric9

Power User
Just because you can't draw the objects in photoshop doesn't mean you can't take advantages of the Warp Tool, Liquify Tool, and Displacement maps. These will help you match contours. As far as lighting goes curves/levels and dodge and burning the items should help your cause. Look for tutorials on those is where I would start. And of course if you need specific help Im sure you can find someone here willing to help out.

Sierraccr

Power User
What a fun project!! Are you using logos from products that already exist or are you having to create new ones?

And is it cheating to create the logo on a separate file in Photoshop? Or do you have to create it, scan it in, and use it that way?

Getting something to fit contour is really not too difficult. I like the warp tool but there are lots of ways to do it, depending on which works best in your instance. You can get some interesting shapes with "spherize" and the liquify filter will do just about anything, with practice. I've done some cool stuff using the "displace" feature if you want to give the effect of really wrapping an image on another shape.

As for making something look like it was, for example, painted on skin, experiment with different blending options and opacities and burn out weird edges if necessary.

In other words, get your photos and your logos/branding, place the logos on the photos and then start playing with ways to make it fit. Come back here if you run into specific questions.

Good luck!!

slinky157

What a fun project!! Are you using logos from products that already exist or are you having to create new ones?

And is it cheating to create the logo on a separate file in Photoshop? Or do you have to create it, scan it in, and use it that way?

Getting something to fit contour is really not too difficult. I like the warp tool but there are lots of ways to do it, depending on which works best in your instance. You can get some interesting shapes with "spherize" and the liquify filter will do just about anything, with practice. I've done some cool stuff using the "displace" feature if you want to give the effect of really wrapping an image on another shape.

As for making something look like it was, for example, painted on skin, experiment with different blending options and opacities and burn out weird edges if necessary.

In other words, get your photos and your logos/branding, place the logos on the photos and then start playing with ways to make it fit. Come back here if you run into specific questions.

Good luck!!

Well part of the project is targeting the right group of people with actual products.. So I'll need to use logos that exist already.. Unfortunately, it would be cheating to create it in a separate file and then import..Thank you for the tips!

Just because you can't draw the objects in photoshop doesn't mean you can't take advantages of the Warp Tool, Liquify Tool, and Displacement maps. These will help you match contours. As far as lighting goes curves/levels and dodge and burning the items should help your cause. Look for tutorials on those is where I would start. And of course if you need specific help Im sure you can find someone here willing to help out.

I'm def going to be going through some tutorials over the next day or two.

Do you guys have any suggestions on the best medium to draw on? The pictures dont have to be scanned, they can be photographed and then imported. I was thinking about doing the drawing on cellophane, putting it on my own body or my gf's and photographing it.. Then I would import the picture of me or her with the logo, layer/mask it, and try to eliminate the parts with my skin or blend the skin tones together.. Figured that might help with the contours? What'ya think?

Sierraccr

Power User
You could also take a photo of the relevant body part, desaturate, increase the contrast, then use as a displace map. Then you wouldn't need to worry about skin tones not matching and you could use over and over.

slinky157

You could also take a photo of the relevant body part, desaturate, increase the contrast, then use as a displace map. Then you wouldn't need to worry about skin tones not matching and you could use over and over.

Wow that sounds perfect. And I remember a while back going through a book that I had at one point and seeing a tutorial for that.. I don't have that book anymore, but I'll check out some displacement map tutorials online.. Thanks for that suggestion.. I'm gonna give it a shot..