What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What is a quick mask layer?

Kodie

What exactly is a quick mask layer and what is it used for? I've used adjustments layers but get stumped with the purpose of the quick mask layer? I'm working with elements 9.

iDad

Guru
not sure about E9
but will this explain it for you

Vafann

Guru
I have Elements 8 and in Swedish, but if you paint with the selection brush and use a mask, the things that are red will not be selected. (It keeps them safe). :)

vjstreet15

I am using the Quick Mask from HPA2. My questions is how to turn the mask into a selection. I start with a rough selection, turn on Quick Mask, and extend (fine tune) the mask with a brush. Now I want to turn the mask back into a selection so I can selectively work with the part not masked out (such as cut it out, or alter the hue, etc.). How does one do that?

Steve

Retired Administrator
A Quick Mask is a way to fine tune a selection.
Make your rough selection and click on the Quick Mask icon or the "Q" key in CS5 I don't know about Elements 9.

You should see a red overlay which is the masked area.

Set the foreground and background colors to black and white by pressing the "D" key.
Select the brush tool and paint with black to remove areas of the mask, and white to add to the mask.
You can switch between the two with the "X" key.

When you're happy with what you have click on the Quick Mask icon again to turn it off or use the "Q" key.

You're now back to your improved selection.

The video in another post here is about a Layer Mask, not a Quick Mask.
To turn a Layer Mask into a selection, select the mask, then Ctrl+Left Click or Cmd+Left Click on a Mac.

What's HPA2?