What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to fill a rectangle with gradient color

skiabox

I want to fill a rectangle with a gradient color I have created (using start-stop colors) but without using the gradient tool which requires manual job.I just want to fill the rectangle from color-start to color-stop.
Thank you.

One way of doing it would be to create the rectangle in any colour on a blank layer then double click the layer or right click > blending options, then click gradient and select the colours you want. A bonus to doing it this way is you can easily change the gradient later.

1) Create a new layer (ctrl+shift+n).
2) Click the rectangle tool (u) and draw a rectangle.
3) Double click the layer or right click on it then select 'blending options'.
4) Click 'gradiant overlay' then click the colour to choose the colours you want.
5) Press ok and you're done!

The best thing for you to do, is watch beginners guides on YouTube. This is the quickest way you can learn what the basic tools do. Unfortunatly for beginners, Photoshop isn't something you can use without a lot of practice, ie there is no quick way of getting good.

sprucemagoo1 : Thanks for the advice.I am currently reading Adobe Photoshop CS5 Classroom in a book.
Do you believe that youtube tutorials is an even better way to learn?

Yes. Not only are you getting told how to do things, but you can see how. They often have useful tips on things like layer blending options, filters etc. When I was learning how to use photoshop, I found YouTube to be the most interesting and hands-on way of getting used to what everything did. Not to mention the diversity of tutorial subject on there.

Not to say you should stop reading your book!

Knowledge is power!

1) Create a new layer (ctrl+shift+n).
2) Click the rectangle tool (u) and draw a rectangle.
3) Double click the layer or right click on it then select 'blending options'.
4) Click 'gradiant overlay' then click the colour to choose the colours you want.
5) Press ok and you're done!

I followed the orders.
Now how do I save only the Layer as an image without the background?

On the list of layers, there are eyes to indicate whether you can see the layer or not. Click the eye on the background layer, then go to file/ save as. .bmp .png .gif keep transparency.

Or use the crop tool and select your rectangle,

Or ctrl+t to make the shape the same size as your canvas.

It seems that I am getting a couple of pixel series of the #end - 1 color(the final color is #f6f6f6 and I get two series of #f5f5f5)
How can I get rid of them?
Thanks again for your valuable help guys!

I managed to get rid of these pixels using IMAGE=>CANVAS SIZE and setting the size at 10x349 instead of 10x350
Still the result is not good.
You can see how the first 350 pixels from the top of the page are clearly distinguishable.
Here is my blog page : blog.devcanvas.org

If you're document isn't matching up with a website (I'm assuming this is the application) and you're not getting the last two pixels lining up, maybe just flattening your image and cropping those last two pixels out.

If you still want those pixels to be grading up to the end, you might have to pop back into your blending settings and change the colours on your gradient. Sounds to me like you may have missed it by just a little bit.

Short of that... maybe selecting the entire document, and stretching it to fit; it's a small enough change that it may not be an issue.

Back