What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Copy a layer to a new document at a specific position

Colorado

I've used photoshop to create a set of buttons for a web site. Each button has several variations for selected, pressed, on hover, etc. At first, I created a new file for each button/variation. I've since realized it is better to create a larger image with each variation side by side and to show only the appropriate part of the image using CSS/html.

So, here's what I want to do. I have five PSD files, each with a canvas 300x300 pixels. I want to make a new image that is 1500x300 pixels. I then want to copy the layers from each of the 5 PSD files to the new image. The first copy I want to be at 0,0. The next copy I want to be at 300,0. And so on.

All of the tips / tricks I've been able to find explain how to copy a layer to a new document, but then just say "put up grid lines and move the layer around until it looks right". I'd like to be more precise than that. If the copy is off by even one pixel, the button will "jump" in that direction when people mouse over it on the web, etc.

Any suggestions how to make a grid of existing images in one document with precise positioning would be greatly appreciated.