What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Changing a specific color in an image

VicZA

Hey guys,

I am trying to change a specific color in an image. I know there are quite a few methods to do this. I have tried the REPLACE COLOR method and the HUE/SATURATION method (selecting only the reds) but there are parts of this color that "bleed" over other colors and that is where the color change is not effected correctly.

I will post some pics to show what I mean:

Changing color forum (original).jpgChanging color forum (modified).jpg

Can anyone assist with a better (more accurate) technique.

Thanks
Victor

Vafann

Guru
I did this pretty quickly, it could be better, but for this I used the magic wand to select all the red areas I wanted to get rid of, then with the paint bucket tool filled it with blue. Then set the blending mode to...ugh...what was it? "Color" I think. (it was one of the bottom 4 blending modes "Color" or "hue" i think), just try changing them and you will see.

blue balls flat.jpg

Vafann

Guru
As you can see I was lazy and didn´t select everything I wanted to get rid of, but if you have more patience, it will work. :)

VicZA

ok - thanks for the help. I will have to select everything very carefully because this customer scrutinizes everything at 100%.

Hoogle

Guru
The way I would do it is over the course of 2 hue saturation adjusment layers 1st 1 being just a coulorise hue saturation for a blue tint then mask out the yellow and the 2nd adustment layer would be another hue saturation but this time set the target channel to only reds to get rid of the red reflections everywhere
Changing color forum (original).png

VicZA

Thanks for your input Hoogleman, but i see that the blue balls are still reflecting RED. I thought there was a quick way of doing this in PS but does not seem like it ...

Hoogle

Guru
then just put in anothe adjustment layer of hue saturation select the red channel and slide the saturation down slightly and adjust the hue to a slight blue value like I said mine was just a wam bam thank you mam in 2 min attempt with the right amount of time put in ie 10 mins you should be fine.

Hoogle

Guru
Or you could adapt this method a black and white adjustment layer then merg them together so you have a black and wite image then a solid colour adjustment layer of blue and another solid colour adjustment layer as yellow and paint it in the mask where you want the colour for each 1 with the colour layers blending mode to colour yet again another quick 2 min task also included psd to see my work flow.
Changing color forum (original).pngView attachment Changing color forum (original).psd

RedneckR0nin

Use selections and select color range....pick red and set the distinction as precise as you need...badda bing

VicZA

Can I ask you what you mean exactly : do I select RED from the drop down menu (default is sampled colours)? If I do that I cannot adjust any sliders