What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Adjust contrast using a gradient

David LaRue

I have a picture of a building that is too bright on one side on the building and too dark on the other. I thought using a gradient contrast curve with multiple points would work, I tried, and have found a method, but the image goes black and white. Any ideas on the most efficent way to do this? Thanks in advance! I have PS5.

iDad

Guru
depending on the image(posting it it would help) there are many ways to go about your request

Hoogle

Guru
Duplicate the layer adjust the exposure on the duplicated layer, apply a layer mask and then you could either paint in where you want the exposure changed or gradient on the layer mask.
However I would do a levels adjustment layer and an exposure adjustment layer and then just paint in where I wanted the effects to take place.

David LaRue

Could you be more specific on what you mean by "paint in where I want the effects to go" I applied the two adjustment layers, and I see how to get the image how I want it on the left, but it washes out the right side of the building

Hoogle

Guru
with Adjustment layers you get layer masks so with 1 overall adjustment if you paint in black on the layer mask as highlighted here it hides the adjustment if you paint in white it makes the adjustment visible and then if you change your brush opacity to say 50% you get a half way adjustment.
Capture.PNG

David LaRue

I see! Very Nice. This will work, it will be a lot of work. If I take this image, and apply a exposure adjustment mask with a value of Exposure 1, I like the left, and if I change the value to -.9 I like the right. So if I could apply it in some way using a gradient it would work, and I would not have to worry about having rough edges of my paint marks, and so on. Do you see a way to do that? I seem to have this problem in a lot of building pictures, so I would love to have a rapid fire solution.
I was unaware of the being able to paint on the adjustment layer, that is a neat trick, and if I cannot figure out an other solution that is what I will do. Thanks Hoogleman!

Hoogle

Guru
As long as you have the the white box selected in the preview icon you can use the gradient tool directly on there. either select the black to white gradient or Black to transparant or white to transparant.

David LaRue

I tried the curves adjustment, but I had a hard time getting it just right. In the end I am going with the steps outlined by Hoogleman. I appreciate you guys' time today!

Hoogle

Guru
You could also just try going to Image >adjustments> shadow\highlights maybe a quick fix but wont be as accurate.

David LaRue

I appreciate it, I did that prior to coming here for help, but like you said it was just a little off. Now just a little healing brush time, and I should be able to move on, but the new info about how the masks work will pay dividends for a long time.