What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

line around my picture when I remove background

samar

Hi all, I am gratefull that there is such a forum and I hope to find a solution to my problem. I am trying to create my business card and when I remove background from my picture it looks good in photoshop. But when I use it in publisher with a different background and pack and go to a pdf file, I would see a line around my image. Can someone help me please?
Thank you.
Samar

iDad

Guru
Numerous things would do that, do you have an image as a sample

DoTTGaMMa

In order for us to find a solution for you, may you upload the original image that is causing the problem, as well as a "Screenshot" of what the problem looks like in Publisher?- To take a Screenshot (if you do not know how to) press the "Print Screen" or "PRNT SCRN" key on the upper right of your keyboard, then go into Microsoft Paint and press the following keys "Ctrl" + "V". Now save the image, and upload both the original and the print screen to an online image host, such as imageshack.com

Then post the links here, so we can analyze them and find you a solution.

DoTTGaMMa

samar

Thank You iDad and DoTTGaMMa, here is the picture but if you don't mind I have covered my face. :) Thanks again.

Paul

Former Member
I used the pen tool made a new layer, then used refine edge to get desired edge.

samar

Great Job Paul! Thank you so much. I will try to recreate it on my end but might need some more help. I am very new to photoshop. Thanks again.

samar

Hey Paul, thank you for your reply, but it still comes out the same way. can you please go over the steps in a little more detail, and how to remove the background after doing the refine edge. Thanks.

samar

Hello Gurus, I have tried Paul's suggestion. It looks good in microsoft publisher but when I pack and go and publish it as pdf for commercial presses the line around my image appears. Please help. I have spent many hours already trying to figure this out on my own but it didn't work out. Thank you.

Paul

Former Member
When i use the pen tool for this type of thing i always draw the lines just inside the desired edge, what i mean is you are actually giving up some of the final image to achieve the clean edges.
If you just click around the edge of what you think is the edge it will always leave little bits of background in it, so when you do your refine edges/clean ups it will show horrible little edge (darkened pixels).
Does that make any sense to you?

samar

Yes thank you Paul. I selected the pen tool and drew well inside the edge, I even cut half into the body to try but still got the same result. It is just driving me crazy. Let me go through the steps afterwards maybe that's where the fault is. I save it as jpg so that I can use it in microsoft publisher with that background you saw in the sample and publish it as pdf so the commercial printers can process it and that's when I see it with the line around the image. I appreciate your help Paul. Thank you.

Paul

Former Member
Hi, when you used the pen tool to cut out your shape at what setting had you got the 'feather' at please?

Paul

Former Member
I just made this its a lemon over a water image then i placed a new image of the water cut out over the lemon, all saved for web and devices as a jpeg (all cuts had a feather size of 0.2)

Paul

Former Member
Patience is a virtue, just wish Photoshop had a patience feature lol.

Paul

Former Member
Your final image/creation would be nice to see.