What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How can I fade a layer's edge?

Noah212

How can I fade/erase the edge of a layer so that it blends in when placed on top of another layer? I know I could do this manually with the eraser tool, but the edges of this particular layer are very detailed.

Thanks in advance.

Hi Noah212

Welcome to PhotoShop Gurus.

first of all a suggestion, you never want to use the eraser tool as is a pixel destructive tool, instead you may want to use a layer mask, pretty much does the same job but in a non destructive way so if something goes wrong you can always paint it back to it's original state.

No moving on, there's many techniques that will get you to accomplish that job, but the easiest one will be using a layer mask in conjunction whit a very soft brush whit low opacity, so you will paint away the edges on the image, also you could apply a gradient fill on the layer mask from white to black or the other way around from black to white depending on your needs, in order to fade the image in a linear or circular way.

Hope this helps.

Not sure I'm understanding completely, but you could CTL+C copy your layer. Set an appropriate feather radius in the tool bar, then copy it with the feathering onto a new layer.

That might work.

Agent