What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to make background white (it fades from a color to white)

Armonster

I was using a picture and used gaussian blur to make it a bit fuzzier. It had a white background though, so I used the magic wand tool to get rid of it. I want to put a color behind this image that fades in from the bottom using the gradient tool. The problem is though that I did not delete all of the white using the magic wand tool, since I used the blur effect, it fades from the gray to white. This area of fading to white stands out against the blue background that I am trying to put behind it.

Is there a simple way to make just the white part transparent?

I could just do this method with the original image.

Also, I can't just use multiply, because the image on top has different shades of gray and if I just use multiply, then it makes the lighter shades of gray blue and just gives everything a gray hue.

Darken almost works but again, the light shades of gray turn blue.

I could just darken the coloring on the whole image and use the darken blending mode if there's nothing else I can do. Is there a good way to darken it? Should I just saturate it more? Because changing the levels slider to make it darker makes where the 'blur' fades to white more noticeable.