What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

PSD layer style: 1px stroke adds 2px

malyo

Hello

I had quick break while using photoshop, anyways when i got back and done some tutorials, i've realised one thing:

When i made for example rectangle shape, and then add a layer style stroke lets say gray with 1 px, then first of all it adds 1 px lighter shadow color around it, plus in the said example, top and bottom borders have lighter colour then the side ones (the one that i have picked).

I'm not sure if this is working as intended, maybe i activated some weird formatting by mistake, any help is appreciated.

ticalico

Are you able to take a snapshot or export the image as an example. Perhaps it only looks that way rendered in Photoshop. Please post an example.

malyo

here's example, i can't see feather options in shape tool (i can see it in mark tool for example)

k7vNP.jpg

im obviously using non english version of psd

Last edited:

ibclare

Queen Bee
Sorry bout that. You are correct. I was thinking when you make selection then stroke you have the feather option.

Okay, I just duplicated your image somewhat.

I've duplicated more or less what you are doing and all I can say is, the same thing is happening and it is something in the program I imagine. Truly, someone with more tech knowledge will have to jump in or you might want to go directly to Adobe and see if you can find out. They have a forum for more techy stuff.

Last edited:

Furio

I discovered this issue many years ago and as far as I can remember there is nothing you can do about it. For some reason Photoshop is randomly adding some kind of anti-aliasing to any rectangle you draw and no matter what you do, nothing seems to make it go away, even if you snap to guides or a grid. Nobody else in those days had an answer either. It's another example (of many) why Photoshop is terrible for any kind of serious vector work.

Last edited:

ibclare

Queen Bee
Yes furio, I just completely edited my post because as I played with it, shape tool, pen tool, blah blah, all I got was the same result. So yeah, I agree with you. Illustrator it is Malyo.

malyo

Thanks for the effort guys, well i was paying atention to pixel while doing some PSD website layout, not exactly vector work. Thanks again.

Furio

Stupid me....I thought I never solved it (it's been a long time ago when I tried to solve this issue), because using a grid didn't fix the problem when I tried it today, so I assumed that it wasn't the solution.

It turns out that it IS the solution.

The reason why I didn't see any difference was because Preferences / Guide, Grid & Slices was set to a Grid Line every inch. You need to set this to pixels, something like 40.

But there is more to this and I didn’t discover this in the past, but only today after doing some experiments. The other issue is subdivisions. The number of pixels divided by the number of subdivisions should result in a round number.

So you solve the issue for example by using 40 pixels and 10 subdivisions, since 40/10 results in 4.

On the other hand, 40 pixels and 6 subdivisions will not solve the issue, because 40/6 = 6,666…

I hope it wasn’t too technical, but this is basically how the workaround works, because I still consider it a bug; we shouldn’t have to do all this to make sure that it always snaps to a pixel.

Happy Photoshopping. ;)