What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Removing a person from behind someone in the background

rassilon

I have been working on trying to remove the person in the background of the attached picture for weeks. i keep trying to use content aware, clone stamp, healing brush etc.. but not seem to work. Anyone have any ideas on how I can remove the person from the background of this picture? They are to close to the person in front that i want to remain in the picture and that is above my skill level on how to make a clean removal.

Thank you.

Attachments

• Jennife2r.jpg
    Jennife2r.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 46

ibclare

Queen Bee
Maybe what you could do is remove the entire background and replace it altogether, figure and all. You won't be able to clone that entire person out and have it look realistic because you have no details of the area behind her. Another option might be to select the BG and use a gaussian blur to diminish the presence.

Personally, I would use the pen tool, cut out your girl in front and place her in a new background. If you have any more pics of that environment, it could work quite well. I'll be back in a bit. I'll do a rough of the gaussian blur effect for you.

OK, here is a quick blur done using the quick selection tool, made a smart object of layer and applied the blur> gaussian blur to it. As a smart object, you can go in and change the amount of blur, less or more.

Attachments

• girl.jpg
    girl.jpg
    154.1 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:

ibclare

Queen Bee
dang good job Paul. I wouldn't even have attempted it.

A little transform and piece together of the mirror in the lefthand corner? Also, if you want to do this rassilon, be careful of how far down this mirror goes as right now it appears to be riding her butt.

Last edited:

rassilon

WOW! Both are great! How did you remove the other person? clone stamp or something like that? Thanks a million for both! Now i have a Christmas present for my sister. lol

Paul

Former Member
All i did was make a new layer, get my pen out and make selections around both the mirror and window/door frame edge, pasted into the area with other woman in it played around with settings, a little painting to join edges i also liquefied very slightly and did a smudge to mix the edges in.
I also cloned over some of the wood to get a more natural look, i then made a saturation pass and altered light settings, and a final sharpen with edges reduced.
Glad you like them both, Clares is also a good idea.

Paul

Former Member
Strict the hair reflection is wicked, nice one mate.

ibclare

Queen Bee
I hope you can stand one more:

That is very nicely done Stric9.

That'll teach me to get on a thread and say "can't be done," just cause I wouldn't do it, lol. I wouldn't either, unless I really had to. It would be easier to find a different BG. And don't get me wrong, I'm not criticizing at all. I'm in awe :mrgreen:

Stric9

Power User
Thanks Clare. There are tons of things that involve Photoshop that I dont enjoy and I'm not very creative by design. This happens to be one of the things that I enjoy in Photoshop. I see all the regular posters in this thread and many others do things I can't/I won't/I don't want to do all the time. It's a great community. There is a lot of photoshop knowledge here at PSG.

ibclare

Queen Bee
Yep, we all have our strengths and our interests. There are a lot of technical questions I leave to you younger folks that have been using computers since age 1. I didn't get my first till I was 35 years old! All I had prior to that was a Brother word processor and art boards, sketch books, craypas, paints, and canvas, lol. But I learn a lot -- more than I really want :mrgreen: -- just reading posts. I have learned so much in the 6 months I've been a member and improved my skills a lot. I have great respect for everyone who gives their advice and posts their work. As Sir Maximus says, paraphrasing, "keep up the good work."