What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Blending black outline of an image into a yellow background

13cmwest

I'm creating a logo for my local First Robotics team and I need some assistance. I created a light blast effect on a black background and due to difficulties I was unable to change the black to yellow without completely distorting the picture. I eventually used the magic wand tool to copy the main image onto a yellow background. But now there is a slight black outline that I would like to blend in. Do you guys and girls have any suggestions.View attachment RR light blast subfinal.psd

The quality of the images are very low for a logo, sorry but I think it would be easier to start again!

like this maybe?
You can fine tune it, but there is only so much to be done around the letters without redoing the effect. You can make a layer above the jaggy black edges and do paint and erase or find a way to create a similar effect. There is a mask on that layer now and you can paint to add and subtract and clean up or enhance the fringe. I did a pen tool selection around the letters and created a mask. The pen tool edge needs a bit more refinement.

RR light blast subfinal.jpg

Here are a couple things to bear in mind for the future. Save, save, save, lol. Don't merge your layers without making copies. If you are wanting to merge do a copy merge: ctl click the layers you want merged > ctl/alt/e. If things get too big and too awkward, do a save as and make a new psd so that you have the earlier working version on hand. Make notations of your effects when you can by naming the layer descriptively.

Don't flatten! Keep your psd unless you are SURE you're done and will NEVER want to return to that project :mrgreen:

Last edited:
The quality of the images are very low for a logo, sorry but I think it would be easier to start again!

I actually do agree with spruce, but I was trying to be helpful. However, sometimes the best repair is starting over; we've all done it.

Like your logo creation Spruce! The reflection is cool. Good job.

Back