What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

picture size vs. actual pixels

pjb515

Hi everyone,

I have photoshop CS version 8.0. I have an old photograph that is 8x10 (File format is .tif, I think it's the result of a scan), and when I double-click it, it indeed shows on my screen as that size. However, if I click "Actual pixels", it's huge! Like, 25 x 30 inches. If it's 8 x 10, it should always be 8 x 10, right? If it helps, the photo is 150 megabytes.
Thanks for any info!

ibclare

Queen Bee
IDK why you are getting a different image size. Where are you getting those numbers? If you go to image>image size the dimensions will be the same (as far as I know . . . but someone else may have better tech knowledge of this). What actual pixel size means is that Photoshop will match the pixels of your picture with the number of pixels on your monitor. It calls this 100%. Since screen resolutions vary, you need to go to preferences and into the units & rulers and set your monitor's resolution: 72, 96, etc.

pjb515

The width is 10373 pixels, height is 8139. It also says resolution is 980 pixels/inch, "It" being Photoshop's "Image" menu, then "Image size".

pjb515

I don't know, how do find that? The help menu only said what dpi is, but not how to find it.