What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I need help with the fill tool!

coneybeer

So I am using CS 5.5 to create a mural design. I have a vector that is mostly black and I am trying to fill the negative spaces blue. However, I get a white outline around each blue space, which is not good as I want the spaces to be filled entirely blue. How do I fill negative spaces completely without any white showing?

Hoogle

Guru
I am assuming it is illustrator as you said cs5.5 where as photoshop is currently at cs5.1

coneybeer

Is there a faster way? Is there a way to adjust the vector so its absolute black/white before I start filling the negative spaces?

Hoogle

Guru
it will be easier if we know what you were using first if in photoshop create a new layer above your vector layer fill it in black with your paint bucket tool and then right click it and select create clipping mask however the vector needs to be the only thing on its layer for that to work.

coneybeer

OK, I might be missing a step here, but when I select new clipping layer nothing happens. The new layer stays black.

Hoogle

Guru
is it above the vector layer or is the vector layer a not transparant around the edges upload your psd I will take a look I am guessing that is what the white edge is.

Hoogle

Guru
that may cause unsmooth edges when you save it create a new layer underneath your vector layer fill it with any light colour and then change your cector layer blending mode to multiply and that should fix it without having to select your vector and paste it on a new layer.

Furio

I'm a little confused about what you want, so this might not what you've been looking for, but anyways....

I assume you have a true vector shape (and not a vector image that was converted to a bitmap) and that you want to fill the "open" spaces.

My suggestion is to add a new layer underneath and add 1 pixel stroke with a layer style in the color that you want to use to fill the negative spaces (layer 2).

Stay on that layer and select the paint bucket tool, set it too contiguous and all layers and fill what you want to fill.

The white line is caused by anti-aliasing and the stroke is used to make it invisible.

Attachments

• a4.jpg
    a4.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 3