What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Quick question about transparent PNG overlays in Photoshop

theforelements

Hello,

First post, recently I have run into a problem with Photoshop. I am currently working with a client trying to make graduated transparent PNG overlays. I am in charge of creating different filter overlays for a new phone application (somewhat similar to intstagram, but not.) I am able to create PNG files, the only problem is that they look muddy, especially when compared to a PSD file. I am not even sure if this is possible with photoshop. I hope this makes sense. Help with pointing me in the right direction, or the right software program is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

iDad

Guru
Muddy? Can you explan again I don't understand your question

theforelements

Sure. When I save my original PSD filter in Photoshop as a PNG file, the file seems to have a hazy and clouded look to it once applied to the image beneath it(like a contact lens that has been spray painted i guess is a way to put it) It looks like solid color with only 50% opacity to it. As compared to the original PSD file, which maintains all of the information. Say the outsides of the image were more. Enclosed is an example of what I am talking about. The first photo is what the PNG file looks like, the second replicates the PSD. I hope this makes a little more sense. Thanks for replying so quickly.1.jpg2.jpg

iDad

Guru
Check your opacity and fill levels

theforelements

Yeah, I could, but that only fades the layer. The PSD file actually blends with the underlying image. The only effect I can think to fix this temporarily is to change the PNG's layer style to "linear burn". But when I go to save it with the Linear Burn applied, it will only open back up in Photoshop to the "normal" layer style. hmm.....

iDad

Guru
That doesn't look to me like linear burn hmmm is on layer contrast setting different?

theforelements

I could set the PNG file to Linear Burn and save it. But once I close and re-open, it is back to the "normal" layer style setting. So that is what the first photo was an example of. Both layers are set to the same contrast :/ tis' quite frustrating

iDad

Guru
Check image modes someone else can help late here I'll be around tomorrow though good luck