What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can't get .NEF images into Camera Raw 6.6 without becoming .JPG

TheReina5

For some reason when I attempt to open an .NEF image in Camera Raw 6.6, the image automatically loads as a .JPG. Is there a way to keep the image in the native .NEF format when bringing it into ACR 6.6 -- the eventual goal is to then open the Raw image in Photoshop CS5. Thanks!

TheReina5

Hey Steve - that is correct. I open the image from my Aperture 3 library as an .NEF and select to open in ACR, which it does. But as you said, the file name changes to image_name.jps rather than .nef

Steve

Retired Administrator
Can I suggest you use Bridge to navigate to your NEF files and open one of the raw files that way.
As a Windows user I have no experience with Aperture or Aperture libraries.

Dreamers

Guru
That's weird.
I thought .NEF needed to be converted to .DNG files?

I'm using ARC4.6 and CS3, and all my NEF's needs to be converted to the .dng file extention. Not sure if it's a new feature in CS5.

Anyway, I hope via Bridge you can open those NEF's.
Ooh and don't forget to post if it worked or not.....

Dreamers.

Steve

Retired Administrator
Dreamers, CS5 fully supports all raw file type as they come out.
The latest version of ACR available for CS5 is 6.6, for your CS3 it's 4.6 and not compatible with the current updates.

TheReina5, I'm just wondering if Aperture does something to the file when you import into your library, it shouldn't but who knows.
If you copy a few files from you card to the hard drive and open them with Bridge into ACR you can narrow down the problem.
I don't know any settings that let you open a Raw image as a jpg.

TheReina5

Steve, that's a good question. What's interesting, when I take an .NEF file from my Aperture 3 library and drag it to my desktop, it is automatically converted to a .JPG as well. It appears anytime I take a file out of Aperture 3 it becomes a .JPG, so maybe the problem resides with AP3 -- next time I upload I'll keep all images on my desktop and see if they will open in ACR 6.6 as a Raw file. I appreciate the help, I'll let you know how it goes!

TheReina5

Got it! I think I figured out what is going on. When you select to open an image directly from Aperture 3, or you drag (or copy) an image from Aperture 3 to your desktop, it is automatically converts it to a .JPG and the master is kept in the AP3 master library. In order to work with the .NEF file, you MUST first select to export the image (file menu) from Aperture 3 to another location such as your desktop -- at that point you can open it directly using PS5 and it will render the .NEF image into ACR 6.6...phew, deep breath. Thanks again for all the help!

Steve

Retired Administrator
So Aperture does do something to the images in the library, it's not a simple computer directory.
Good to know and I'm glad you figured out how to access the files.:thumbsup:

Dreamers

Guru
Good to hear you found a solution :) sweet.

And thanks for posting the result, maybe someone else will find it usefull aswell.
Happy shopping again......

Dreamers.