What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Opening Black & White RAW photos in Bridge

Tee-Vee

Hi,

I shot a photo using the following settings in camera:
- picture style: monochrome
- format: RAW

I import the photos from my memory card to Adobe Bridge. When I open the folder containing the photo, the photo is in color. If I open it in Canon Digital Professional though, it shows up in Black & White.

Has anybody had this problem, and how can I keep the Black & White even in Adobe Bridge?

Thanks for the help!

Hoogle

Guru
Monochrome will only effect jpeg or tiff file formats your canon software will recognise it from the canon profile.

Raw files are not complete images hence it is raw the profile has not been saved hence you can make such dramatic changes in camera raw. Really when shooting in raw format the only colour change settings that will effect the image when downloading to your computer is the white balance as the rest such as vibrance, black and white etc can all be done in ACR this is why photographers prefer to shoot in raw as the image is not built and has so much flexibility in post processing.

YOu can use greyscale in ACR that way you can alter each individual colour channel for tonal \ contrast range really every thing can be changed from raw

-\+ 2 stops of exposure
sharpness
clarity
noise etc etc the list goes on where as jpeg is already a compressed format and does not allow for much post processing ( well no where near the level of RAW ) but the advantage is it is quicker shoot what you see if you set a picture mode it saves it and technically you need no post processing .

Thats the difference between jpeg and raw jpeg is a saved image a raw file is unsaved hence raw files are so much bigger and have a lot of detail captured that you may not even see until you adjust some sliders.

Steve

Retired Administrator
In effect you bypass all your camera setting when you shoot RAW.
Those camera settings like sharpness, color, B&W etc. are used to create the "finished" JPG in the camera, and those settings are baked into the image.

When shooting in RAW all those setting and many, many more can still be manipulated.

As for shooting B&W in the camera, that's really not a good idea.
You're throwing away tons of data that can be used to make a better B&W image.

Continue to do what your doing, shoot RAW, use ARC for any adjustments you need to make then create a b&W adjustment layer.

ss.jpg

If you really want your B&W images to pop, download Nik software's Silver Effects Pro, it's a 15 day free trial.