What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help with figuring out how to make this

droritos

Hello !

I'm trying to learn Photoshop all by myself, and so I took the mission to recreate effects of a given picture.

I couldn't find a tutorial explaining what I'm about to ask, merely because I don't know what phrase to Google for.

I was managed to get that color match, but how do I recreate:
* that shadow next to the eye and nose.
* this skin "grunge" look.

I would be very appreciate if someone could explain or even redirect me to a relevant tutorial.

Attachments

• Untitled-1.jpg
    Untitled-1.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 22
There are a lot of ways.
I would duplicate the layer and on the top layer darken the whole image until it's all as dark as the shadow you want.
Then create an inverted mask to hide the dark layer.
With a white brush paint in the shadows on the mask.

Hi doritos with an extra "R" -- welcome to PSG. :mrgreen:

Another method you could try is to find a grunge texture, layer it on top and change the blend mode to overlay. You can then use a layer mask on the grunge layer to paint out the areas where you don't want the texture. Depending on the image, it may helpo to duplicate the original layer and set the duplicate to multiply and this will increase the shadowy effects.

Steve's right. Lots of ways. You should try more than one to get what you're after, his, mine, and others. Or mix techniques. It's also clear the subject had considerable texture in his skin to start.

You can do the main of this image with a black and white adjustment layer set the blending mode to luminosity so you keep the colour then slide the sliders for contrast etc I just added some crack brushes to make up for the lack of wrinkles in the image provided by Paul then a vignette and colour to the eye.
face-eggplant-eye.png

and you can look at my PSD as guidance Obviously this is only a basic way of achieveing it but once you get to this stage you can apply texture overlays,sharpening, colour adjustments etc.
View attachment face-eggplant-eye.psd

Back