What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Using a Tablet and Photoshop

So I have a project for school where I need to sketch a face and digital paint it basically. It's all black and white shading. I have my brush set up with transfer (pen pressure for opacity and flow jitter), shape dynamics (size jitter pen pressure), and smoothing on. So when I brush on the canvas it leaves a stroke. When I brush again the stroke is darkened. Is there a way to make it more like a pencil where the color won't overlap the color making it darker when i am barely pressing down with the pen? I am trying to find the best way to deal with shading a sketch in black and white while making it look nice(not blotchy or dark strokes on top of lighter strokes). I've tried youtube but was wondering if there is something I'm missing that could make this easier.

Thanks

Josh

Sierraccr

Power User
Layers, layers layers.

If you make a boatload of layers and just put strokes that are close to each other on different layers you can mask out anything overlapping and then merge the layers together at the end. Other than that there really is no way to prevent - or fix - the overlapping thing that I have found.

Good luck!

Layers, layers layers.

If you make a boatload of layers and just put strokes that are close to each other on different layers you can mask out anything overlapping and then merge the layers together at the end. Other than that there really is no way to prevent - or fix - the overlapping thing that I have found.

Good luck!

Hmmm....I'm a little confused on what you mean by that. Can you explain further? :)

Sierraccr

Power User
I assume you do your basic sketch with a hard narrow brush and now you want to go back and shade it with a soft, more translucent brush?

Once you start the shading, make several layers on top of your basic sketch. Each of those layers can be adjusted individually. If you overlap two strokes and make a darker splotch where they intersect, merely mask off part of one of the layers with a layer mask. Once you get the effect you want you can merge the layers - or not, your choice. :)