What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Reflective Eyes in Photoshop

Aqua

ibclare

Thanks for the great suggestions. Hopefully I'll upload an example of a project I'm working on. I'm just not too thrilled my results in regards to the reflection in the eye. Been at this all day today and yesterday but I did learn a lot in the process! See my post to Hoogle that describes my project. Thank you again.

Aqua

Yes you are correct. I did a quick feather but mainly wanted to see if I could accomplish the whole task I described earlier. This is the result. What do you think I need to improve? Please see below.

Thank you

Reflective Eye.jpg

Hoogle

Guru
I like the idea but honestly I think you have to much going on and when you add text on top of it then it will look a bit messed up. Try adding some contrast and reducing saturation etc. Make the reflection part pop more.

Here is a quick 1 min edit as an idea.
Reflective Eye.png

Aqua

Hoogle,

That's a good idea. looks cool! Can you please tell me how to add contrast and reduce saturation only on the iris?

Thank you

Aqua

Hoogle,

I reduced the contrast of the iris by using the elliptical marquee tool and then going to Image/Adjustments/Brightness/Contrast. However, under Image/Adjustments/Hue/Saturation the Hue and Saturation was greyed out and not accessible. How do I reduce the Saturation of the iris only?

Thank you

Hoogle

Guru
I actually added 3 adjustment layers
1 x brightness contrast
1 x vibrance\ saturation
1 x black and white but layer opacity was set to low

as they are adjustment layers you just paint in black where you dont want to apply the effect.

to get to these adjustment layers click this icon.
Capture.PNG

Aqua

Hoogle,

I discovered that to reduce the Saturation, first I had to hid the background layer (eye). This leaves me showing the band members only. Then I used the elliptical marquee tool and selected the musicians. Then went to the layers pallett and click on the half white, half black circle icon at the bottom and choose Hue/Saturation. Reduced the Saturation to -33. Bingo! Finished.

Your example still looks better. I have to tweak it some more. Thanks for the help and suggestions. Now it looks more like a reflection!

Aqua

Hoogle,

Our posts crossed. I just noticed your excellent reply. I'm reading it now. Lots of great info. Thanks. Will get back to you.

Hoogle

Guru
allign your text to the right so it has 1 straight edge will look better.

Aqua

Ok Hoogle. Thanks for the advice and suggestions. Working on it now.

Aqua

Hoogle can you please explain?

when you say "1 x brightness contrast", I assume you mean you created one brightness contrast layer?

Also, I am using Photoshop 7. I do not see the following layers when I click on the black and white circle icon at the bottom of the layers pallett. See below. BTW, what is "1 x black and white but layer opacity was set to low"?

1 x vibrance\ saturation

Thanks Hoogle and please be patient. I've been hammering away at learning photoshop for about three weeks now. I understand some of my questions are serious newbie questions but I'm trying. Long way to go.

Aqua

Did you mean to say "Hue/Saturation" when you said "vibrance/saturation"? If so then yes I do see that option when i click the Black and white circle icon at the bottom of the layers pallett.

Hoogle

Guru
You should click that icon and get a list of available adjustment layers I am not sure about ps7 and yes when I say 1 x I am referring to 1 layer of the said type.

Hoogle

Guru
and no Vibrance is different to hue saturation however you could probably adjust hue saturation levels to achieve similar to vibrance if you just adjust the lightness\ darkness slider bar.

Untitled-1.png

Aqua

Ok. I understand. Thank you. By the way, what are you referring to when you said, "1 x black and white but layer opacity was set to low"? What is a "black and white"? I do not see that as an option when I click the circle icon at the bottom of the layers pallett.

Hoogle

Guru
well if you look at my last picture you will see there is a black and white adjustment layer there. and then you adjust the layer opacity and blending mode via these controls.

Capture.PNG

Aqua

Ok, I see "vibrance" and "black and white" as options in your image above. I'll have to dig around and see if I can find these somewhere else in photoshop 7. In the meantime, what does the "balck and white" adjustment layer accomplish. I will google as well to research. Thanks again.

ibclare

Queen Bee
Hoogle can you please explain?

when you say "1 x brightness contrast", I assume you mean you created one brightness contrast layer?

Also, I am using Photoshop 7. I do not see the following layers when I click on the black and white circle icon at the bottom of the layers pallett. See below. BTW, what is "1 x black and white but layer opacity was set to low"?

1 x vibrance\ saturation

Thanks Hoogle and please be patient. I've been hammering away at learning photoshop for about three weeks now. I understand some of my questions are serious newbie questions but I'm trying. Long way to go.

If you're confused, go to layer>adjustment>hue/sat or whatever you need, but when you click on the adj. icon at the bottom of the layers palette, you should see all of the choices in the drop down (or up) list. I have PS 6 but haven't used it in a long time and I seem to remember that ot all the choices were available there. Weird huh.

Layer opacity set to low means that once you make the b&w adjustment layer, you lower the opacity of the layer so as to reduce its effect. At least I believe this is what Hoogle meant. If it is something else, he will say.

And yes 1 X just indicates that he applied this adj. layer.

I'm covering for him at the moment. He'll be around later.

Last edited: