What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Warping Text for a Vinyl Car Wrap

lilego

Hi Guys

I want to put a vinyl sticker on my car rear window with either a picture or text. The car window is angled at 45 degrees.

My question is: How do I "warp" my image, so that when it is applied to my car, it will look as if I am starring at it directly.

The problem is that if the text appears correctly in my photoshop, once I stick it on the window, you'll be viewing it at a 45degree angle and the text will no longer be clear or legible =( The goal, therefore is to warp the text so that it "removes" the 45degree viewing angle

Your help is greatly appreciated!!

Thanks!

Paul

Former Member
Take your car image then make a copy, on that copy click the TYPE tool choose your font of choice, then type out your word/words.
Rasterize that type layer first, then go into EDIT/TRANSFORM and click on the SKEW or DISTORT options, move your word/words around until your happy with the placement, also try a little warping to get the edges all tucked in nicely, on my example i then changed the blending mode to SOFT LIGHT (my choice) yours can be what ever you want.
View attachment 16415

peta62

Guru
Take your car image then make a copy, on that copy click the TYPE tool choose your font of choice, then type out your word/words.
Rasterize that type layer first, then go into EDIT/TRANSFORM and click on the SKEW or DISTORT options, move your word/words around until your happy with the placement, also try a little warping to get the edges all tucked in nicely, on my example i then changed the blending mode to SOFT LIGHT (my choice) yours can be what ever you want.

Hello,
I think he wants to put real sticker on a real car, if I understand him correctly, but I think the basic advice "EDIT/TRANSFORM and click on the SKEW or DISTORT options" works the same just it needs to be done in opposite direction, correct ?
Bet regards,
Peter

lilego

Hello,
I think he wants to put real sticker on a real car, if I understand him correctly, but I think the basic advice "EDIT/TRANSFORM and click on the SKEW or DISTORT options" works the same just it needs to be done in opposite direction, correct ?
Bet regards,
Peter

Hi Peter

Thanks everyone for your replies! Yah, I want to put a real sticker on a real car.

Stickers are about $100-200, so I just want to know the skew / distort I've done will turn out ok. Is there a way to skew 45degrees?

Thanks so much!

peta62

Guru
You are welcome. I think it is basic geometry, I hope my English vocabulary will not run out of gas ;-)
Imagine a triangle, vertical side is the projection of the picture as you see it, in the 45 degrees angle goes the window. Since one angle is perpendicular and second 45 degrees, the third is 180-90-45=45, so both short sides are equal. Assume the shorter side one unit, so the long one is root-mean-square sum which makes it 1.414. This is multiplier of the height of your letters. Now whether they should be thicker on the upper side depends from what distance you want people to see it. I think the distance would be long enough on the car to leave it unchanged. So in my opinion just multiply the height by 1.414.
Hope this helps,
Peter
P.S. One more thing, print it on the paper and put on the car to check how it looks before you spend hundreds of dollars on the sticker.

Last edited: