What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help with putting mask+pattern onto group

FLmingo

So I used to be able to do this in CS3, but recently got CS5 and found that I can't exactly do the same anymore.

What I did was make a group, then a mask on the group and then the mask was a pattern. I'd make a new layer for the group and anything I did in the group had a nice texture/pattern (according to whatever I put in the mask).

Now I tried the same thing, same steps
-> Make new group
-> Mask
-> Fill adjustment layer
and it just makes a new layer in the group. I KNOW I'm doing this all wrong, but have yet to find a way to put a pattern into my mask (when I try to paste, it makes a new layer). I usually am using the default textures that come with photoshop.

Help appreciated!

ibclare

Queen Bee
Hi, welcome to the forum. I'm curious. I've never done what you describe, but can you post an old psd with this mask effect please? I'd like to see this. Have you gotten an answer elsewhere or figured it out yet?

FLmingo

Aha, I'm dumb. I just found out what I was doing wrong. I needed to fill the masked-group with a pattern.
Anywho! To anyone that wants to try it out, here's what it looks like. Basically what you do is make a group, then add a mask to the groun,t hen shift+F5 (or fill) and fill it with a pattern (I use watercolor paper patterns)

Bird.png

Attachments

• Bird.psd
    842.8 KB · Views: 2