What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Client wants RAW files - is it possible to save any adjustments to those files?

jhamonphoto

I don't, obviously, often (ever) deliver RAW files to a client. They want RAW files to do their own processing.
Is there a method in Adobe Camera RAW to 'save adjustments' to the files at all? Or am I truly stuck into handing over as-shot images? (blech)
:eek:

THanks
Jeff

Hoogle

Guru
yeah you can save a copy in ACR click save image in bottom left corner and put in another location and save it as a DNG once you have processed it. DNG is the Adobe Native RAW format

jhamonphoto

Nope, not working.

I make changes, go through the save dialog box, save as DNG and the file looks the same.

(shrug)

but if I save it as a psd file (did it by mistake) I see it looks different.

Hoogle

Guru
I dont know what your doing but I just did it no problem

Make sure you save as DNG not dng and select a different location

jhamonphoto

Did just that... DNG, different location. Sigh. Nothing. Cropped extreme, colour balance shift, etc. And nada.
Are you on a mac?

Hoogle

Guru
Can I just check you want to save your raw files for the client that you have edited.

You are aware with Raw files if the client just goes to reset then they will just get it back to how the camera shot it.

jhamonphoto

I'm, frankly, hoping that they DON'T know that. ;)

But I still can't create a 'tweaked' file, so... guess that's that. Sucks to turn over your work straight out of camera.

Hoogle

Guru
add 1 to a rar file and upload it here I will see if I can do it with 1 of your files.

I think the cache or something may be remembering the settings.

jaysuess

OK, let's try this step by step.
First, open your RAW image, perform your tweaks, crops, etc.
Now, select the icon at the top that looks like a list. It opens the following dialogue box:
Screen shot 2012-04-30 at 10.05.58 AM.png

Select "Camera Raw database" in the "Save Image Settings In" menu.

Then click the "Save Image" button at the bottom of the screen to get this dialogue box.

Screen shot 2012-04-30 at 10.06.26 AM.png

Set your file extension to .DNG (as stated in a previous post). Then UNCHECK "Embed Original Raw File"

Click SAVE and you're golden.