What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

PSD's and Layers

WidmarkRob

I've just started my web development freelance career… I've downloaded a PSD Web Template, I want to practice converting those templates into working websites.

Before I start that, I have one question (for now :)).

I noticed when I opened the PSD, I opened up the layers palette… Because I'm new to this, it surprised me to see a few layer groups & independent layers.:pimp:

Before I start experimenting;
I know how to hide multiple layers & independent layers. I also know it would take a long time to go through and individually hide all of the layers I don't want. I'm fine with that though. This is my first practice project, so… I don't mind doing things a long/hard way. As long as I'm learning I don't mind.
With that said, I have already painstakingly hidden all layers… Except for one (I know, I know… I'm crazy).

With that one layer showing. Can I create a new document out of that layer?
I know I probably could have just used the clipper tool, but… I don't like how I'm constrained to boxes and rectangles. I don't need all of that extra information that the clipper tool forces you to take.

Side note: after making a clipping… Would I be able to use the freeform selection tool in conjunction with the clipper tool?

Anyway, back to my main question.
Can I create a new document out of a single layer?

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
Yes , you can....

with the layer selected, hit CTRL+A to select all the contents on the layer.

Then CTRL+C to copy the contents.

Create new documnet... CTRL+N

CTRL+V to paste clipboard contents on new document. ....

Increase or decrease document size if needed...

WidmarkRob

Okay, now… I have multiple layers visible. Only the ones I need.
This time though… I merged all of the visible layers into one layer.

I know there's a little status bar down the bottom left, letting you know the dimensions, different properties and so on and so forth.

With my new layer from the merge layers.
How do I go about finding the size (dimensions) for this new layer. Just the layer itself.

That way when I go to create a new document. I can set the dimensions of the new document to be just a few pixels bigger then the newly created layer.

Maybe show the ruler?

As I'm writing this, I just thought of it.

It would be nice to know if there was a way to find out what the exact dimensions are for the X and Y axis.

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
If you mean object in the layer, hit CTRL+T.... the width and Height will show in the menu....

At the bottom of the document, you'll see document specs. click and hold , you'll see the full document size/specs ......

WidmarkRob

Okay, now… I have multiple layers visible. Only the ones I need.
This time though… I merged all of the visible layers into one layer.

I know there's a little status bar down the bottom left, letting you know the dimensions, different properties and so on and so forth.

With my new layer from the merge layers.
How do I go about finding the size (dimensions) for this new layer. Just the layer itself.

That way when I go to create a new document. I can set the dimensions of the new document to be just a few pixels bigger then the newly created layer.

Maybe show the ruler?

As I'm writing this, I just thought of it.

It would be nice to know if there was a way to find out what the exact dimensions are for the X and Y axis.

Very Very Nice… Just now noticed we can insert pictures…

I will start taking screen caps… In the meantime, here is that PSD I'm working…

index.jpg

WidmarkRob

I was able to isolate the vehicle at the top with some of the drawing effects…

I merge all of the layers & this is as far as I got so far…

auto_layer.jpg

With this new layer, I would like to create a new document out of this…

I've been watching a few videos in YouTube… What do you think about creating a mask out of this new layer? Then creating a new document out of that mask?
Letting Photoshop automatically creating the right size.

I just don't know the steps.

ibis

Power User
If i get you right,
you want to make document of the certain size with componets from the template?
te easiest way is:
make blank new document of the desired dimensions Ctrl+N and type lets say 21x29,7cm 300dpi
drag and drop desired layer from the template
scale it to fit your needs holding Shift to preserve proportion
merge te layers.

WidmarkRob

as of right now, it is 4:30 AM Alaska time:eek:

I don't remember the author of the blog for the address of the blog…

I was able to make a selection of the layer: Ctrl+Win+click your desired layer

Then I was able to refine my selection, then I was able to invert my selection… Then I hit Del to get rid of what I didn't want (leaving me with no background in my layer).

Then I carefully cropped this document, leaving about 10-20 pixels at the bottom of the document, room for error.

Now it is ready for me to use on a webpage:cool2:

ibis

Power User
it would be as simple as:
make rectangular or whattever shape selection
select modify feather and put about 5
hit ctrl+J to make another layer with softened eadges selection
delete original layer.