What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Saving the item on a layer as its own image

tinlyer

Hello,

I am new to Photoshop. I'm working on a website and have made a layout in Photoshop. One of the items in the layout is a rectangle containing website content (contained in its own layer). I want to be able to save this rectangle as its own image, so that I can put it in my html. I have found solutions to export the layer to a new document and saving there, but it saves the *entire* layer as an image, not just the rectangle. That is, I get the rectangle plus a lot of white background that I don't want. I want just the rectangle with its styling intact. I also know about slicing, which I have used for some of the menu buttons. However, I feel it wouldn't work for this case, because I want to keep the shadow styling around the rectangle intact. Is there any way I can save just the rectangle and its styling? Thank you!

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
Hi, tinlyer.

Did you try saving it as a gif or png ? In this format, you can save the image on an empty background. In your original psd document, hide all the layers you don't need leaving the needed image layer visible .... use SAVE FOR WEB & DEVICES ... select either png or gif....

there's a preview button at the bottom so you can see how the image looks in your browser.

Hope this helps you.

Vetoed

Use the eye button to hide the rest of the layers and then save it as a png to keep a transparent bg. You could also go to the layer that has the rectangle, do ctrl + a then ctrl+c and go to open a new document and save it there as its own image as a png of course