What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Masking/Layers

tbh8644

I am currently working on masking and layers in my class. I'm having trouble getting a grasp on it. Currently I'm working with three kyaks and masked layers of each. What I need to do is color in each kyak using solid color layers. I make the solid color layer but I don't know how to get that reflected into the actual kyaks I'm working with. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
Hi tbh8644.

I hope you meant kayaks... lol ..

Create a clipping group .... position the color layer over the kayak layer , CTRL+click the line between the two layers in the layer pallete . It will appear as in my example. the middle red kayak (layer 0 copy) is the original image color.

You may have to add an adjustment layer to correct the colors and such (maybe to be discussed next in class) .

Hope this starts you off...

Attachments

• kayakcolor.jpg
    kayakcolor.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

tbh8644

Thanks for the response. My professor wants me to do it a certain way and I have researched tutorials all night to no avail. They want us to add color as such:

1. Above the kayak 2 layer Add a Solid Color layer thatuses the same layer mask used for kayak 2. Edit Blend modes and layer Opacityas needed to color kayak 2 blue as shown in the proof.
2. Above the kayak 3 layer Add a Solid Color layer thatuses the same layer mask used for kayak 3. Edit Blend modes and layer Opacityas needed to color kayak 3 yellow as shown in the proof.

I know how to make a solid color layer but actually turning the kayaks a color is what my problem is.

ibclare

Queen Bee
Well, that's a horse of a different color. Seems like the long way around when dv8's method is more standard. OTOH, I can understand a teacher wanting you to understand the concept of layer masks by having you discover many uses.

My method may not yet be what he wants. I have to assume that your kayak has a layer mask. That makes all the difference to the task he has given. But bear in mind, what you will learn as you go is that there is rarely one one way to do something in PS.

LizardMask.PNG

What I have done is make a selection of the lizard and put on a layer mask to "mask" out the background. Then I made a copy of this layer and the mask. Next, I made a blank layer above that and filled it with color. Then I activated the mask on the lizard layer by ctl/cmd clicking the thumbnail. With the color layer selected and the marching ants displaying, click on layer mask and the blue will now have the same layer mask as the lizard. Oh, in your case, the kayak, lol.

Adjust the blend mode and opacity till you get the color result you want. You may have to change the color to actually achieve the proper hue, unless you start playing with adjustment layers. I used vivid light at 100% opacity. Some modes may give a flat look to the image and some will alter your color considerably. Even vivid light will need adjustments for loos of highlight.

This is a good exercise to learn the blend modes a bit too, though it helps to understand how they are grouped and why they do what they do. Blah, blah, blah.

Hope this helps.