What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cutting out fencing from background

Dumbo

I'm sure this has been covered somewhere before but I can't find anything under "search" so here goes.
I have a piccy of a house with a metal grill fence in front of it. I want to remove the background from the fence so that I can copy and use the fence in a different picture. I've copied the part of the piccy that has the fence in it and made a new layer and then I thought I could just use the "background eraser" tool to clear out the background and leave me with my lovely fence. Well nearly.
I'm using a 15 pixel soft eraser with "sample once", "discontiguous" & "protect foreground colour". I'll post some piccies for you, but as you can see in the ones that follow, the eraser removes most of the magnolia colour of the house, but leaves some "shadows" that don't seem to disappear and likewise leaves quite a bit of the blue/grey background on the right. If I go over these areas a second time the eraser also takes out bits of the fence, so what am I doing wrong? Sorry. seem to have posted all sorts of piccies here and am not too sure how to delete them again.:rolleyes:1401 Part2.jpg

Attachments

• 1401 Part I.jpg
    1401 Part I.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 6
  • 1401 Fence.psd
    6.1 MB · Views: 8
  • Email 1401 Fence.psd
    436.8 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

Inkz

Guru
Instead of cutting it out, I took a different road. I'm in the middle of remaking the fence.

Example.

It's still incomplete. I need to finish it off and blend it better.

1401PartIv1.png

You can use the pen or line tool to create the fence panel, but as you haven't stated what level you are at in Photoshop, there is a PDF attached with the panels I used to create the fence in this picture. If you do not know how to use the pen or other vector tools, what you have asked us to describe is too advanced for your level of ability.

Just because you don't understand what somebody means when saying "paul just cropped the picture and blended in another picture !

as for inkz as he said he's building the fence from scratch..These are very common things in Photoshop, and anyone with who had bothered to learn the basics of Photoshop before asking how to do stuff, would have known what they meant.

Edit by Forum Moderator

Last edited by a moderator:

Paul

Former Member
well paul just cropped the picture and blended in another picture !

as for inkz as he said he's building the fence from scratch..

Not just that easy mate, i did do a lot of clone work and recolouring first, then overlayed the foreground garden twice:mrgreen:

Dumbo

Tkx for the links altho' I have a problem with the first as I've a Mac and the install prog wants to install from Windoze but I can always try Googling for something similar.
I'm sure it's the long way round but at pres. have copied & pasted a section of fence from the piccy with finished house, removed most of the background, except a few "shadows" left behind with the background eraser and am removing the shadows with either the normal eraser or the polygon lasso. Fine, possibly not the purists way of approach but it does seem to be giving the required effect. When I've finished I'll post the results.

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
Tkx for the links altho' I have a problem with the first as I've a Mac and the install prog wants to install from Windoze but I can always try Googling for something similar.
I'm sure it's the long way round but at pres. have copied & pasted a section of fence from the piccy with finished house, removed most of the background, except a few "shadows" left behind with the background eraser and am removing the shadows with either the normal eraser or the polygon lasso. Fine, possibly not the purists way of approach but it does seem to be giving the required effect. When I've finished I'll post the results.

That's good. Post your image so we can see what improvements , if needed, can be done.

Dumbo

It definitely needs touching up at the edges of the various fence panels as they're not as clean as they should be, but this was the basic picture content I wanted to achieve. Half a raw house, half a finished house but with the finished fence & garden.
Any constructive advice on improving quality, appearance and/or ways of achieving the same rather than my perambulatory (is that a word?? :) ) way would be greatly appreciated..............

Last edited:

Dumbo

Sorry, having probs getting piccy to upload, think I must have brain in limbo....................Email 1401 Start.jpg

ibclare

Queen Bee
All things considered you did a good job. You lost some of the fence you might want to clone back in. The scraps of old background could be eliminated using the polygonal lasso or the pen tool. Otherwise you got the effect you want.

Dumbo

and is that good or is that bad? :)
and are there ways I could have improved it?

Dumbo

I understand what ibclare has written but I just wondered if there was any better way of achieving the same effect without having to rub my finger to the bone erasing........;) And preferably one that suits my skill level that I can learn new......... That's all.

Dumbo

PS: Like the new avatar ibclare. Reminds me of a calendar piccy we did a couple of years back...........Email Alice.jpg

Paul

Former Member
EN easy tiger, Dumbo what you have done is very good almost believable. So your quest is almost complete, with this one atleast, like Clare said just need to touch up small parts, one bit of advice i will give you - less is more mate, shop as a nasty habit of showing the 'over done' really effectively;)