What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Making a portrait

MrLOD

I'm interested in making a portrait of my sister (she wants one). Before I start the painting part, I need to draw her so that I have something to work on. However, every time I use the brush tool...the results are horrible.
Any suggestions/tips/tutorials?

P.S. I use GIMP and I'm quite an amateur, so please try to as much descriptive as you can.

Last edited:

MrLOD

I fear you may be jumping a few steps in the learning process.You need to go to YouTube, and look for Gimp tutorials on working with layers, and blending modes. There are plenty out there.

This is a bit of reading that explains the above mentioned.

Obviously Learn what all the tools do, as you will need more than just the paintbrush to do a portrait.

Good Luck!
I have worked on layers several times, but I'm not familiar with these blending modes. Anyway, I'm going to check the tutorials. Thank you!
Thanks for the link!

Are you painting with a wacom tablet?
No, I don't have one. I use my laptop (I use a mouse, not the touchpad)

besmirched

Power User
I would (if I was an artist) hand draw your subject then scan the drawing and then load it into a paint program. Using a mouse will be very tricky but here is a dude on youtube explaining how to do it in photoshop. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MqN8VOtCUBA Gimp will have different controls but the it's the same gist. It would be way cool to see how you went after you finish. Good luck:)

Last edited:

MrLOD

I would (if I was an artist) hand draw your subject then scan the drawing and then load it into a paint program. Using a mouse will be very tricky but here is a dude on youtube explaining how to do it in photoshop. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MqN8VOtCUBA Gimp will have different controls but the it's the same gist. It would be way cool to see how you went after you finish. Good luck:)
Hm...that's actually a very good idea. I'm going to give it a try.

Anyway, once I have made something worth showing it to you guys, I will. Thank you all for helping me out.