What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

fixing broken (un-kerned) fontage for stroke purpose.

Hail! I am having a bit of a time applying a stroke to 2 fonts that i chopped up, and then put back together. i understand that one a font is un-kerned that headaches begin. I was hoping a guru could please tell me what kind of things i can do before hand to ensure a smoother stroke. slogobrken.jpg here on the left is my ps ver. and on right is an attempt to use a vector program to clean it.

Remote-Medic

Beast RARRR!
Have you tried applying the stroke and then retouching the characters up to repair any loss in detail. Obviously depends on how may characters of course.

yes Sir, i have. Those 2 "s" are the only thing wrong, due to the rest of the text is still in kern. its after i clean up the letter, which is 2 sperate fonts cut and pasted together, and then apply the stroke i have issues, as seen here. DONKEY!.jpg

thanks for the link Sam. i am talking about the "jaggies" i simply can't figure out what went wrong in the process. the layer i have the other letters in seems to have little problems, its the layer where i imported the path from inkscape, after cleaning up the "S" that won't apply a clean stroke. i'm starting to wonder if it's simply the way ps handles imported paths now. i'm going to try to start this project from scratch, and try to meticulously keep my layers uniform. maybe even merge the "s" and other text layer together, before i apply the stroke.

mr. besmirched, i actually did clean up my text in a vector program, and then imported the path into my graphic, in ps.

thank you all for your time to help me with this issue.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
CAAS,

Here's just another suggestion for you to contemplate. I used the PEN TOOL in shape mode to outline the new components of your letter S. Reduce the opacity of the layer your working on to visualize, otherwise the shape rendering process will get in your way. Of course each shape creates a new layer.

Layers01.jpg

When done, I then merged the shape layers.

shapeOverlay01.jpg

You can rastorize the merged layer, but I left is as a shape layer so that it can be edited. I then applied a stroke. No jaggies!

SText_01.jpg
This was done really fast so please excuse imperfections.

You can easily apply any color or texture to the shape layer to fit the rest of the text, and you can rastorize if need be.

I like Inkz idea as well, I had not considered this option.

HTH.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Here's a final image I decided to add.

SText_02.jpg

wow. thanks to you guys for your help, and the additional support. IAMSAM, a definite problem with using the pen tool, is that i have always had a hard time "drawing" either with pen, pencil, or the shape tool. Something that intimidates me, and i need practice in. That said your multi layer approach came out looking amazing! Inkz, i have a question, if you don't mind, you seemed to be able to clean and make the knot portion more precise and angular in your clean up, may i ask how this was accomplished?

Again, i can not stress enough how thankful i am from all the help of the experienced artists here.

Inkz

Guru
I had an image of the "S" and a celtic knot, lined them up on separate layers and traced with a pen tool to create one image.

alright. so i used the advice of both IAMSAM, and Inkz. it's coming along. However, in following Inkz last post, i just wanted to make sure i have not committed any kind of design faux paux. I actually used the knot work section from Inkz's post up, as my selection guide. If this is a form of design plagiarism, please let me know. I'm not trying to be a thief. :: deep breath:: here it is, as so far. stritchabc.jpg

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Great job CAAS! The pen tool may be your most commonly used tool so practice with it often! Don't let it intimidate you, once you learn how to use it you'll love it.

Good luck!

Dear IAMSAM, you wouldn't happen to have any suggestions for practice, or links to tutorials for use with the pen tool? would buying and using a wacom tablet help?

Remote-Medic

Beast RARRR!
Dear IAMSAM, you wouldn't happen to have any suggestions for practice, or links to tutorials for use with the pen tool? would buying and using a wacom tablet help?

I have only recently got myself a Wacom, like 2 weeks ago and to be honest using a mouse in Ps now feels very unnatural if that's anything to go by.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator

CAAS,
Like RM, I have also recently purchased a Wacom Bamboo Capture and here's my take on this subject.

The PEN TOOL is a working element within Photoshop and you need to learn how it works, what it's capable of, as well as when or what situation require or would best be served by the pen tool. How you control the tool is mute.

The mouse or the Wacom tablet is just a mechanism in which to operate Photoshops Pen Tool. As long as you have a full understanding of the Pen Tool, how you operate it will be strictly be up to you and what works best for you. I'm terminally left handed. For some strange reason I operate the mouse with my right hand and I, of course, operate the tablet with my left. This orientation works well for me because I can operate both devices simultaneously.

Unlike Chris, I have had a rough time with my tablet. I've had a hard time with the "hoovering" of the pen and I loose control of the cursor when just navigating, I find this frustrating. But......(in mouse mode) when the pen is in contact with the surface of the tablet, I have absolute control of the tool! However, this absolute control is negligible when compared to the mouse! For me, the tablet, in pen mode, is most useful during painting or drawing techniques.

As far as tutorials, when I was learning the tool, I just went through as many tuts as I could. I found that not all tutorials are the same and that some included great tips while others left important aspects out. I prefer video tuts and I blazed through Youtube. Refine your search to Photoshop Pen Tool Tutorials.

You'll find that the pen tool is definitely one of the most widely used Photoshop tools, it is fairly easy to learn and a critical skill that you'll be lost without.

Good luck!

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I just viewed a vid on the pen tool that Remote-Medic posted in another thread. I had seen this video before and forgotten how good it was. You can find it here:

ICEFLOW STUDIOS PEN TOOL VIDEO

Awesome. I'll burn through the youtube as soon as i get home tonight. Here is my revisions to my graphic as of now. still a WIP, and any feedback is much appreciated. thanks again for the kind support. stitchredux2.jpg