What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Reproducing a beatiful slide

I want to learn photoshop by myself and i've read that the best way to learn any skill fast is by working on a project which aims at learning some specific skills so i decide to reproduce a very beatiful slide (which is definitely done by photoshop). The problem is I don't know where to start, which tool to use ...
So if you can, please give me some guidelines on how to reproduce as precisely as possible slides below

1.jpg4.jpg
5.jpg8.jpg

Last edited:

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hi I4D,

The images you have posted all require different techniques, all of which are fairly simple. Pick the one you most want to learn and someone here will guide you through the process.

The first and third images would be the easiest. The second and fourth require a little more work.

Remote-Medic

Beast RARRR!
Here's a quick example of the first one:

glass of water.jpg

I found an image of a glass, used a layer mask to add transparency. Gradient background with text over the top. Used the warp tool to warp the text and added bubbles with a brush.

The skull image is a skull x-ray with the brain added, again basically you can use any image of a brain and hit ctrl+i to invert it. Sometimes this will give an appearance of an x-ray.

The question mark image is a question mark with bevel and emboss, shaded with a gradient overlay and the water drop added.

ibclare

Queen Bee
I want to learn photoshop by myself and i've read that the best way to learn any skill fast is by working on a project which aims at learning some specific skills so i decide to reproduce a very beatiful slide (which is definitely done by photoshop). The problem is I don't know where to start, which tool to use ...
So if you can, please give me some guidelines on how to reproduce as precisely as possible slides below

"I've read that the best way to learn any skill fast is by working on a project which aims at learning some specific skills"

" The problem is I don't know where to start, which tool to use ..."

No kidding.
You can't walk into a PS project and just get a few instructions for god's sake. Sure, it's best to learn by doing. But . . . you have to know the basics first. Do you know what a layer mask is or how to use it or even how to add it to a layer?

R-M says
"I found an image of a glass, used a layer mask to add transparency. Gradient background with text over the top. Used the warp tool to warp the text and added bubbles with a brush.

The skull image is a skull x-ray with the brain added, again basically you can use any image of a brain and hit ctrl+i to invert it. Sometimes this will give an appearance of an x-ray.

The question mark image is a question mark with bevel and emboss, shaded with a gradient overlay and the water drop added."

How much of that did you understand?

Start with the basics. You have to learn to walk before you can run . . . much less fly!

Remote-Medic

Beast RARRR!
Sorry, have I done something wrong here?
I assumed the OP had at least some basic knowledge :confused:

Inkz

Guru
For me, the best way to learn Ps...

Is, get to know your tools first. Then you will have a better understanding on how to do simple projects.

ibclare

Queen Bee
Sorry, have I done something wrong here?
I assumed the OP had at least some basic knowledge :confused:

There is no wrong, unless you flame or get really graphic. The issue to me is, "I want to learn photoshop by myself. The problem is I don't know where to start, which tool to use ... " It sounds like someone who has no basis in PS. When I quoted you I was demonstrating some of the principles that are not learned in the first week or two of using the program. I wanted to guage the skill level when I asked if she/he understood. Nah, your advice was right on. Sorry I wasn't more clear.

Remote-Medic

Beast RARRR!
Is cool and I agree, guess I should have read the OP a bit better because now reading back, I am not sure what level they are at and so as you have mentioned; how do I know they know what layers are etc.

Oh well lol guess we will see if the OP returns hehe

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I do agree with Clare and Inkz. I picked up on this from the post and this is why I wanted the OP to choose one of the images and we could walk them through the process.......step by step.

First, thanks for all your support!

Let me clarify something :). I DO have some basic knowledge (@remote medic: I DO know how to add a layer so... :cool2::cool2:). Even it maybe not enough but if you can point it out I can learn it in hours by tutorial videos which can be easily found in youtube. (and that's the way I learn some of my "basic")

One thing I need to clarify here is I don't learn Ps to become a "master" or a professional designer, it'll take ~ 10000 hours. I ONLY want to learn Ps to help me create a more professional presentation. In other word, I learn Ps for a SPECIFIC purpose. Because of that the number of skills and techniques I have to learn will decrease, with that is the amount of time I have to spend.

The problem is I don't know what is ESSENTIAL to learn and what I can bypass. That's what I seek for through this topic. I need just a few guidelines from you in which specific tools to use, the way to use that to reproduce those slides exactly. After that?... BINGO! I just have to focus all my time and effort in them then i'm good to go.

Some of you may wonder why my approach is somehow weird (you don't know "ALL" the basic? so what the hell you're doing here? Grab a book....etc... :)) But my purpose of learning photoshop is to test and refine my method of learning a skill so that I'll be good at whichever skill I need in 2-3 months at max. The application of a methodical approach is enormous. Imagine you can learn programming or copywritting or some desirable skills in a very short time... It'll get you a huge advantage against your competitors.

I think you had better understanding about this thread :) So can you help me in remainning slides? (Special thanks for IamSam :) and remote medic)

P/s: @ibclare: I agree that "You have to learn to walk before you can run " But if you have a RIGHT purpose with RIGHT approach, you can hit your goal with much shorter time or even learning MIT's 4-year curriculum for computer science in just 12 months (search scott young if you're interested and also cal newport, the philosyphy about learning and creating a remarkable career of these two people will make a very big impact on the perspective of you all) :)

Last edited:

ibclare

Queen Bee
My what a treatise, lol.

I never said you had to learn ALL the basics and if you had given us some idea of 1) your skill level (though adding a layer vs. adding a layer mask is pretty basic... and you didn't say mask, you said layer), and 2) what you need to learn and why, it would have been easier to address your issue.. BTW, utube is not considered an especially reliable source for learning though beginner skills are probably fairly reliable. And I think you can count on your obvious intellectual capacity to ferret out the garbage I hope (this is not a slam; I respect that in you).

I'm sorry if our attitude bordered on flaming. We get so many posts from people who want to make glossy advertisements, etc., when they started PS yesterday (by their own admission), that is does get a little tiring. So my sincere apologies; I think the other members would say the same thing. Some of our best people have responded and of course we have some others who haven't dropped by yet, but if we need their tech expertise beyond what we can give you, I'll PM them.

So, may we start over? :eek:

@ibclare: ok, I understand that many people decide they will change at every 31 Dec then It'll last about... a couple of weeks, spending time for these people is just a waste ;))

Now I guess quitting is not an option even if I want to lol =)) (by the way, the deadline of my presentation is 59 days later :( )

So I will start with 1st image and I'll post whichever mess I make in Monday.

First thanks @Remote-Medic your guide is detailed enough :cheesygrin:

Below are my drafts (not so good but acceptable _ _" i think)

1-1.jpg
2.jpg

If someone has free time, a little help will be very appreciated ;)

The 1st picture
A, If you zoom in, you can see the edge of some letters (especially ones have curve like R and S) is not totally smooth like ones of @Remote-Medic even though his text is larger than mine. Why does that happen? How to fix it? Is it because of my font?

Also you can see letters aren't totally straight. Any idea of why? _ _"

B, The glass looks like empty (eventhough it has bubble _ _"). How can I make it look like it filled with water?
(like the original image below). Add a black line by brush? :eek: (let supposed we couldn't fine a glass of water in the internet eventhough we can)

1.jpg

The 2nd picture
Image of x-ray skull is easy to find _ _" and LUCKY me, the color of the brain when inverted is JUST RIGHT.
Supposed that I'm not so lucky, How can I change the color of the brain? I tried and found the hue/saturation did the job BUT I had to adjust to get the color i want, are there any other way to change to the color i want quickly?

There're two images left

5.jpg4.jpg

Do you have any idea?
I can't find any "water" picture like the 1st one. Is it created by PS? If so HOW? :cry:
And anyone knows the font is used in two pictures? The same font is used in the "question mark"?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

Remote-Medic

Beast RARRR!
Coming along nicely but you need to align the brain a bit better. Good to see you have it the right way around though hehe

ibclare

Queen Bee
The problems you're having with the edges of the letters are probably due to the warping. If the resolution is low that would create the crazed edges. Remote-Medic: what's your take, since your version didn't have this problem. As to the straightness, that's probably also due to warping.

This is done at a resolution of 300:

thirst.jpg

Remote-Medic

Beast RARRR!
Agreed Clare, my image was originally something like 5000pxl by 3000pxl at 300dpi which is my normal canvas starting size. Smaller resolution will most definitely leave warp jaggies lol. Just another quick but obvious point, make sure font it set to smooth too.

I always start big then size down.

Thanks for all replies!

What about these two?

I don't know where to look for the "question mark" and "water". Also which tool to use with the "drop of water"?

4.jpg5.jpg

Remote-Medic

Beast RARRR!
You have umpteen question marks in your fonts, so type a chunky one and if needed use the Marquee Tool to make the square at the bottom.
As for the water drop, Google one that suites your needs.