What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to create Batch Crop and Straighten Action for opened files

TheDude

Hello, this is my first post here. I have searched the web for hours in vain, trying to find a way to get past what I feel is a glitch in Photoshop CS5 Mac, in creating a batch process for the crop and straighten command.

What I want to do:
Crop and Straighten all open files, leaving them open.

What I have attempted (This worked in CS, which I use to have before upgrading from Snow Leopard to Mountain Lion which rendered it obsolete.)
Created action for crop and straighten
Unsuccessfully created action for a batch process of the above action.

The last step above works for other actions I created, like a batch unsharp mask action. For that, the steps are simply
Screen Shot 2012-11-08 at 9.38.07 AM.png

But for batch Crop and Straighten (which I have named "Auto Crop" in my Actions), the action "Auto Crop" is not actually recorded in that straight-forward fashion. Instead I get this infinitely repeating set of actions, creating cropped copy after cropped copy of the original, through the commands "select document," "select previous document" or "select next document" (I have seen all of these recorded in my various attempts.)
Screen Shot 2012-11-08 at 9.43.18 AM.png

An additional quirk of lower priority I'd like to get past is somehow getting around copies of files being created through the crop and straighten command. I believe I recall seeing the option to toggle this on or off somewhere, but can't find it anywhere. If there is no way around this, I'd be open to the originals being closed as part of the batch process.

To sum it up, my goal is to batch crop and straighten all open files, with only the the cropped files remaining open.

I'd entertain the idea of using a script for this, because this is something I do with entire groups of photos pretty regularly. But I don't know enough about scripts and the language to create one myself or modify similar ones I've run into for crop and straighten that have each had certain rules that do not apply to me.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!