What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Changing Black and White to Colour

rickcon22

Hi all,
I am new to photoshop.
Its my mums birthday coming up and wanted to surprise her by changing some of her black and white photos to colour. I've googled it and worked out the basics however wanted to know how I could select all the polka dots on the above image and turn them red without have to do each one individually.

Any help? (Hopefully the image is attached)

ibclare

Queen Bee
I opened this in Camera Raw and made some adjustments to exposure and sharpness. There's a lot of noise in the picture, but unless you really blow it up, it should be fine.

• Then I opened it in Photoshop and as happens, wanted more contrast, so I did a levels layer adjustment.
  • Then I selected the dress (somehow missed the belt area), copied it, increased the contrast even more to bring out the dots.
  • Then I did a color range selection, made a layer above the dress, clipped it to the dress layer, and filled the selection with the color red. You may have to play with your color to get it right.
  • Then I set the dress layer to soft light blend mode.
  • Finally I put a layer mask on the color and used different opacities of the brush to remove the red by degrees from the shadows.

Maybe someone will have a simpler solution.

MUM.PNG

Remote-Medic

Beast RARRR!
That's awesome Clareby, may have to look into this colouring thing. Seen it many times but haven't actually ever tried it.

Paul

Former Member
Nice job, but i honestly don't think that the original had red dots i think they are white with maybe a red banner at the waist and bottom edge.

The main body of the dress probably did have small red dots.

mum.jpg Please note i overly sharpened on purpose.

Last edited:

TwistyGFX

Very nice work with this Paul, I've never seen anyone do this before. That's very unique.

Rob_IMX

Very cool! I often play around with blending options in this way to Accentuate color.. But I've never completely recoloured a b/w image. Be sure to post the final result!