What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New to this need some help.

KevinK

Hey guys, Im new to the site and need alittle help. I have been working with Photoshop for about 5 years but never created a large image. I have need to create my first large file which is an 8ft x 8ft banner, how do I go about setting up the file? Any ideas or help would be great. Thanks everyone.

Remote-Medic

Beast RARRR!
That would be 28800 pixels x 28800 pixels @ 300 dpi :eek:.

Pretty big image so everything you make/use within this image will need to be top quality.

What is going to be on this banner, digital art, photo's??

KevinK

The banner is for a wedding so its just font no images. Its the couples initials and wedding date

Remote-Medic

Beast RARRR!
If you want to make it yourself then create a new document to the size I have given above and lay it out how you want it. Making sure the text fits the canvas correctly.

Tom Mann

Guru
If it's really just text with no photographic image, you would probably be much better served with a vector based program like Adobe Illustrator rather than a pixel based program like Photoshop. The forte of vector based programs is to produce very large, very sharp output from surprisingly small files.

There are many other vector based programs on the market, but Illustrator is one of the standards and it is currently available on a monthly basis at a very nominal cost.

Just a thought,

Tom M

Steve

Retired Administrator
FYI, 300 dpi is considered best when printing a photorealistic print but that assumes your viewing a print at a distance of a few feet away.
When you're viewing an 8'X8' banner you're going to be 10-15 or more feet back, the resolution can be much lower.

For example a billboard can be printed at 18 dpi and look fine.

I'm sure there's a formula or calculator and I don't know what the ideal resolution should be, but I just wanted to point this out.

Remote-Medic

Beast RARRR!
FYI, 300 dpi is considered best when printing a photorealistic print but that assumes your viewing a print at a distance of a few feet away.
When you're viewing an 8'X8' banner you're going to be 10-15 or more feet back, the resolution can be much lower.

For example a billboard can be printed at 18 dpi and look fine.

I'm sure there's a formula or calculator and I don't know what the ideal resolution should be, but I just wanted to point this out.

Agreed Steve, because it's going to be so big as Steve has said the dpi can be much lower. I wasn't sure where this was going when I suggested 300dpi earlier but I guess habit kicked in as well as I always work at that. Sorry for any confusion.

KevinK

Thx so much for all the help guys, I usually always work on small things like spreadsheets and business cards, letter heads etc and to be doing a wedding red carpet banner is a big step so want to make sure I do it right.I will look at getting illustrator also as I heard it is great for doing decal work.