What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best way to change text from copyied layer..

Windows7

Power User
Hi guys,

Here i'm again!! :)

What is the best and easiest way to change the text of a copyied layer. I don't mean the name of the layer in the layers pallette on the right. Look.. sometimes i copy a layer just to have the exact font type and stuff.. and then want to change the text of it. Most of the times it works by getting to that layer on the background and choose the text tool and search for the beginning of the text and type.. then you can change it by deleting it and then type what you want but regularly it don't work and when i do it it creates a new layer.

Thanks guys,

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
Hope I got you correctly.

Make sure the text layer is selected, select the type tool, go to the text menu and select the font you need. It will automatically change.

But this won't work if you've rasterized the text layer.

Last edited:

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
Ooops... you mean change the typed text.....

I don't know of a faster way to do this... except double clicking the text layer. This will select/hilite the text on the image ... easier than finding the start/end letter to hilite it.

Last edited:

Windows7

Power User
Hi man,

Thank you very much but shortly after i opened this topic i found the problem.. like you said: i already rasterized it that's why and i closed it a few days ago so i couldn't edit it anymore. But it's ok i just made a similar one!

But is it like that that when you double click the text layer that the text gets highlighted?

Btw: you know why i rasterized the layer?? Because the "custom warp" option wasn't available otherwise that's why!

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
Hi man,

But is it like that that when you double click the text layer that the text gets highlighted?

Yes. Easier than using the text tool to select it within an image document. Forgot to mention to double click the text layer icon.

And as chitkaran mentioned, you can't custom warp a text layer unless you rasterize it

Which is why its always a good idea to work with a rasterized duplicate text layer. In case you don't like something, you can delete it and still have the original text to start over.

chitkaran

Guru
Or, ctrl + click on text layer... highlight the Text ... create a new later and fill it with color... Then free transform it the way you like

Windows7

Power User
A text layer cannot be warped without rasterizing it..

Yes man that's the reason i rasterized it.

Which is why its always a good idea to work with a rasterized duplicate text layer. In case you don't like something, you can delete it and still have the original text to start over.

In the past i didn't work with copy layers but believe me.. i got my *ss kicked by photoshop because many times i lost my original layer because the new layer was too messed up.. . :frown:

Or, ctrl + click on text layer... highlight the Text ... create a new later and fill it with color... Then free transform it the way you like

You mean this so you don't need especially to rasterize it to warp?